hf1

Cant remove the smell from our cloth and no cold rinse

My avatar
mummy2fourgirls
Clothie
Clothie

Cant remove the smell from our cloth and no cold rinse

Postby mummy2fourgirls » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:30 am

We have been using cloth for six months now and I'm really struggling with smelly nappies .

My machine is fairly new 18months old but I can't find a cold rinse on it the lowest it will do is a 30 handwash cycle which takes about three hours .

I have tried washing with tots bots potion and also rockin green powder as well and neither have made any difference .
I am now using tesco's own non bio liquid and just washing them all on a 40 wash , then I do two extra rinses and then a spin so the whole washing process is taking about three hours
I have tried a strip of the nappies and the machine with bicarb and that hasn't made any difference either . The nappies look clean but they have this slight wiff of poop to them .

I dry pail and wash every other day , I line dry where possible or over my bannister and then if a bit hard give a five min blast on low in my tumble drier .

Where am I going wrong ?
You can actually smell the smell on the clean nappies and when I put them on her you can smell it through her clothes too :(
Thanks for any advice you can give
Ruth

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Cant remove the smell from our cloth and no cold rinse

Postby Louise » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:43 am

I don't know anything about either of those, are either of them bio? I only use biological powder on my nappies as non bio just isn't effective enough. Washing liquid is also the worst that you can use both for the nappies and for your machine. How much detergent do you use and what is your water like? Our water is very hard so I actually use almost a full dose of detergent and do a few extra rinses at the end otherwise the nappies don't come out clean enough.

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:56 am

Most machines will let you do a rinse & spin cycle without a wash cycle - this is what I use to give my nappies a cold start, to get rid of any nasties before the main wash cycle.
I also found that liquid detergents made my nappies smell not so good and switching over to powder has made all the difference :thumbsup:
Although we live in a hard water area, I find that just half a dose of detergent gets the nappies clean, and avoids detergent build up in the nappies - which is another thing that can cause nappies to smell.
I always wash at 60c now too, which I think also helps our nappies - but maybe not great if you can't get the cold rinse cycle in first :-?

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:57 am

Was also going to ask what machine you've got? Will see if I can find a cold rinse cycle on it for you... :wink:

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:17 am

Have you tried other methods of stripping, such as using white vinegar or a dishwasher tablet? (there's a sticky on heer somewhere about how to do those). maybe add some tea tree oil lavender oil to the bucket or in the machine during the wash. What setting do you use on your machine to wash them? I use a 60 degree intensive cycle, which takes about two hours, plus extra rinses at the end. Many people wash at lower temperatures, 40 is fine. How many nappies would you wash at a time? When I started using them I always crammed them in, now I put in 15 max, or more if they're small sizes. I don't know what the washing detergents you mentioned are like, but I'm currently using Bold 2in1 (I buy loads if I see it on offer!) and I like it, especially for the smell :)

If your machine is fairly new then it should do cold rinses, I think they have to in order to get a good energy rating. Our old machine only did hot rinses which I thought was great, as warm water rinses better than cold. Many machines don't use enough water to rinse effectively, especially nappies and towels etc. There shouldn't be soap suds coming out of the nappies by the end of the last rinse. In at least one of the rinses I will add a few big jugfuls of water through the drawer until the water level is nearly halfway up the door! and I've started adding a few to the wash cycle to help get them more clean (it's probably not recommended to do this for safety reasons, but I've not got a shock yet :lookround: ), use rainwater if you have a water butt and want to conserve water.

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby becky1978 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:51 am

Liquid isn't the best thing to use, good old powder is ace! I use Ariel bio if I'm.using powder (normally I use soap nuts on nappies and that's eradicated all my smell problems) about 1 tablespoon only, cold rinse, wash on 60 then rinse again.

My avatar
mummy2fourgirls
Clothie
Clothie

Postby mummy2fourgirls » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:07 am

Thanks for all taking the time to reply .

I wish we could switch to a bio powder for our other clothes as well but one of my daughters suffers with really bad eczema and everytime I have tried changing liquid to powder she has really bad flare ups . Cant even imagine what a bio powder would do to her .

After a long hard row with the washer and me kicking it a little and have a little stress with the instruction booklet have found that there is a way of changing the temp when you select just a rinse program . There is a little logo that looks like a snow flake so I'm assuming that is a cold rinse .

Thanks for pointing out it could be a rince program rather than a wash - its a start in the right direction

x

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:16 am

mummy2fourgirls wrote:Thanks for all taking the time to reply .

I wish we could switch to a bio powder for our other clothes as well but one of my daughters suffers with really bad eczema and everytime I have tried changing liquid to powder she has really bad flare ups . Cant even imagine what a bio powder would do to her .

After a long hard row with the washer and me kicking it a little and have a little stress with the instruction booklet have found that there is a way of changing the temp when you select just a rinse program . There is a little logo that looks like a snow flake so I'm assuming that is a cold rinse .

Thanks for pointing out it could be a rince program rather than a wash - its a start in the right direction

x

Quite often ppl with eczema are ok with bio powder if you really get it out of the clothes so put an extra rince cycle at the end of the wash :wink: Plus the bio actually washes the clothes better than the non bio anyway so there should be less int he fabrics that irritate her skin

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:29 am

On the phone so rubbish reply. MY last daughter had really severe eczema to the point of her living in bandages on antibiotics, I tried her on bio powder as non bio was causing smells. I never looked back, helped her skin in nappy area and smells gone. Hope you sort it x x

Next

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies