hf1

Help- newbie needs serious advice!

My avatar
Debbie81
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: Help- newbie needs serious advice!

Postby Debbie81 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:27 pm

i'm in scotland so really soft water, we use a dessert spoon of powder. i find this is enough. also, i wash fitteds and inserts at 60 (pul wraps & pockets at 40) with two COLD rinses at the end. i found this combo after much experimentation and some smelly loads of nappies!! hope this helps. :D

My avatar
Mungo
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Mungo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:51 pm

I'd try using less powder and doing an extra rinse at the end. I had to experiment a bit to get the right amount of powder.

My avatar
MeeMoo
Clothie
Clothie

Postby MeeMoo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:24 pm

Thanks everyone so much for the advice- am going to try and use much less powder and pop them on for a few more rinses, and see how it goes, will let you all know how I get on! :)

My avatar
mudita
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mudita » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:48 pm

I use a 3/4 dose of bio powder, cold prewash, wash at 60, no extra rinses--no smells, no stains and no build up that I know of. Nappies are fresh and clean and seem to absorb just fine. We wash every day just about, and sun as much as possible. I had smells when washing at 40 with less powder, not had a problem since I switched my routine. Only problem I get is when I overload the machine.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:57 pm

You can use too little powder ;)

My avatar
MeeMoo
Clothie
Clothie

Postby MeeMoo » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:08 pm

Hurray! We no longer have smells! :D Thanks everyone for the advice! Worked out that we need to do a full cold prewash with no powder at all, and then a white cotton cycle on 40 with about 30ml powder and they come out smelling clean and fresh!! Am so pleased because I was beginning to think I'd made a big mistake opting for cloth with my LO, even though I love the big cloth bums! So pleased I found this site! :D Thank you again!

Previous

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies