hf1

What temperature do you wash at?

My avatar
cara2244
Clothie
Clothie

What temperature do you wash at?

Postby cara2244 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:45 pm

Feeling guilty....OH has moaned at me for washing nappies at 50/60 as apparently it uses loads of electricity. I used to always wash DS's nappies at 50 with occasional 60, and have washed the baby's at 60 as I'm finding 50 washes and the nappies come out yellow from the poo, even with hanging them in the sun.
He wants me to wash them at 40....am I going to end up with stinky/still dirty nappies? The cost saving over paper nappies starts to look pretty poor when you factor in the massively rising energy costs....aaargh!

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: What temperature do you wash at?

Postby anothersquish » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:46 pm

40 with the occassional 60. The only nappies of mine that are marked are ones that got left behind at my exs that he used and didnt look after.
Mine dont smell and come out clean...HOWEVER even washing at 50/60 there IS still money savings with cloth, I worked it out....in detail...LOL

My avatar
jclmellor
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby jclmellor » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:51 pm

we used to wash at 40, now wash at 60 as DD has nappy rash all the time... if you do a cold wash before the hot wash, that will reduce staining. 40 shoudl be fine tbh if your baby is over 6 months and hasn't got any rashes etc. preloved nappies should be washed at 60 before using xxx

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:56 pm

I always washed at 60 x

My avatar
cara2244
Clothie
Clothie

Postby cara2244 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:38 pm

Well I tried washing the baby's nappies at 50 and they came out stained, but just hanging them in the light today got them clean. I also washed our clothes at 30 and they look fine

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:45 pm

We wash nappies at 40 normally. If DD has a stomach upset then we wash at 60. Clothes we wash at 30.

My avatar
emsy
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby emsy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:01 pm

We wash at 40 normaly with the odd 60 now and again :)
make sure you do a cold rinse on dirty nappies first tho as sometimes heat can set the stains :)

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:03 pm

used to wash at 60 when loads of pooey nappies but have been washing at 40 no probs

My avatar
pebbles08
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby pebbles08 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:06 pm

we washed at 40 with the very ocassional 60. Never really had any problems with staining x

Next

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies