hf1

Stripping nappies: DD may have Bio washing powder allergy

My avatar
jclmellor
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Stripping nappies: DD may have Bio washing powder allergy

Postby jclmellor » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:49 pm

DD keeps getting an allergic reaction to the nappies. i've read many of the previous posts about stripping nappies, using Bio powder. i don't have vinegar or dishwasher tablets and we have far too many nappies for the washing powder strip.

i think DD's allergic reaction *may* be the powder we are using (which is Daz Bio). does anyone know how i can strip the nappies, avoiding using the Daz Bio? - as i want to get all this washing powder out of the nappies and start using a different type of powder. we are going to use Surecare from now on, to see if this works... :(

My avatar
jclmellor
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Stripping nappies: DD may have Bio washing powder allergy

Postby jclmellor » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:28 am

bump!!! any advice welcome!!! xxx

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fivefourfour » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:37 am

The best thing to do is put them on for a wash with no powfer in the machne. That will show you if you have any build up (if you can see soap bubbles).

TBH, stripping nappies tends to be necessary in the US because of the top-loader style machine, but not so much in the UK - I know of two or three nappy brands who say stripping should not be necessary if you use the correct amount of powder and rinse after each wash.

However, in this case, I would say to wash them all with no powder, and then wash them all with a small amount of your new powder, and make sure you rinse after. Then see how they do. Avoid vinegar anyway, as it breaks down the fibres of the nappy...

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:43 am

I've always done strip washes with a dishwasher tab. I just buy the boxes from £land :oops: I think there's a sticky in here with different stripping methods :)

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies