hf1

What nobody told me about dry pailing :(

My avatar
ameliepoulin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

What nobody told me about dry pailing :(

Postby ameliepoulin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:22 am

The nappies get urine stains! And I am absolutely guted that I haven't found the solution for doing the nappy laudry every three days. The smell does not bother me at all as I have a very efficient bucket, but whether I do dry or wet pailing, I am simply not satisfied. With the wet one I have the feeling that I strain my washing machine, as nappies are already soaked, thus heavy, when I put them in, if I put less of them I have to do the laudry every other day, so where is the green-living that I am aiming at? If I do dry pailing they get stains, as I said, plus the hot climate here gives them mould spots, so, ladies, please help me with a solution that I cannot see right now.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: What nobody told me about dry pailing :(

Postby Louise » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:31 am

What about rinsing them before they go in the bucket? I used to do that with my DDs dirty nappies. I used the shower to rinse off the nappy over a second bucket then tipped the water from it down the toilet before putting the nappy in the nappy bucket.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:59 am

Tell us more of your washing routine. Are you line drying in the sun? That should get stains out.

My avatar
ameliepoulin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby ameliepoulin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:22 am

Well, this is how it goes: I line dry them in the shade if I can, as I leave in a very hot climate, but they still get crunchy. Plus, water is really hard. I cannot imagine drying them in the sun, they would be unwearable. I use eco washing powder, as litle as I can, and wash them at 40 tops, normal cycle. I am looking for solutions friendly for the environment, but also for my budget, as everything is electricity-run here, thus very expensive, and water is precious.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:26 am

with hard water you need to use more not less powder, the eco powders tend to be pretty horrid in my experience, bio is best.
when washing you should do a cold rinse, normal wash cycle then an extra rinse or 2 (i washed at 60 most of the time)
Know what you mean about dring in the sun, they go really hard, rubbing them together will help soften them a bit x

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:41 am

I second the cold pre wash rinse cycle. This gets rid of a lot of the pee & poo stains (& smells) that would otherwise "set" into the nappy if you do a warm/hot wash without this cold rinse.
There are some bio based washing powders that also contain a clay based softner ("Bold" in the UK) that may help with the crunchiness and allow you to dry in the sun without the nappies turning too rough.

My avatar
jclmellor
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby jclmellor » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:51 am

could you at least dry the nappies for 30 mins in the direct sun? i'm not sure that the shade drying will be working at getting the stains out? by the way, where are you?!?!?! (sounds lovely weather lol! much better than rainy wales!) xxx

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Hannahboo » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:01 am

Agree with the others about doing a cold pre wash first. We dry pail and have hard water and very rarely get stains. I do exactly the same as Kirsty does for her wash. Cold pre wash, wash at 60 then a rinse cycle and my nappies come out really soft and lovely. I use Bold 2in1 powder and just dry them in the airing cupboard most of the time as our dryer isn't working at the moment :roll:

Like pp said, maybe try putting them in direct sunlight then moving them after a short time so they dont completely dry out.

Hope you are able to sort out your washing/stains issues :D

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:14 am

You could also try line drying at night. I've heard of a couple of people who swear the moonlight is enough. Or try first thing in the morning or later in the day if it cools in the evening.

Next

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies