hf1

Article about washing at low temperatures

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Article about washing at low temperatures

Postby Miss_Purple » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:46 pm

just wondered if anyone saw this article yesterday?
interesting reading for those who wash nappies in with other clothes at 40c
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2050239/How-washing-machines-familys-health-risk-Low-temperatures-mixed-loads-spreading-dangerous-bugs.html

My avatar
monkeyhanger
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: Article about washing at low temperatures

Postby monkeyhanger » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:03 pm

Scary stuff there! :nonono:

We do our normal laundry at 30 and our nappies at 40. Very occassionally we do them at 60 if iots a particularly grotty load. I though the point of detergent was that it killed the bugs so washing at 30 was fine?? :-?

I do keep my nappy load separate to the rest of the laundry but makes me I need to do the odd very hot wash once in a while.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:21 pm

Detergent is just that though, it's soap. Soap doesn't get rid of germs, it gets rid of grease, etc. Heat gets rid of more bacteria. I would think that the bleach contained in detergents is minimal, especially when you consider it's diluted in the wash.
I do certain washes at 60 (bedding, towels, kitchen cloths, family wipes, etc), others at 40 and then delicates at 30.
Also, if you do most of your washes on low temps then the washer itself isn't getting cleaned out and would harbour all sorts.

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:39 pm

Our usual temp wash for clothes is 30
I do a separate nappy wash which goes on 40, with 60 probably once a fortnight.

When I'm at work, my clothes tend to go in on a 40 to get rid of as many germs from the hospital as possible. Any higher at home and the clothes shrink because they aren't 100% cotton. But my personal scrubs get washed at 60!

I think you've just got remember that washing powder is just soap. Rather than an antibacterial detergent.
I always make sure we do plenty of 60 washes with the after tummy bugs.

My avatar
weefywoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby weefywoo » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:21 pm

I wash our clothes at 40 I did wash them at 60 but our new washing machine takes forever on a 60 wash! We had a cat when Aoife was a baby who caught fleas so everything was washed at 60 to help kill any nasty jumping blood sucker eggs :roll: nappies are always washed at 60 though, they never felt clean on a 40 wash

Bedding, towels &the like are all 60 washes too

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:32 pm

All our clothes are washed at 40 and nappies,towels and bedding at 60. I personally would never wash at lower temperatures.

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:34 pm

I just rolled my eyes at that article quite a lot ROFL!!!

My avatar
monkeyhanger
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby monkeyhanger » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:19 am

With that in mind- i'd better review our laundry procedures/temperatures :oops:
Theres me trying to be all environmentally friendly but clearly putting my family at risk :shock:

My avatar
Jellybelly6
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Jellybelly6 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:24 am

I laught at myself. My towels are on a 60 wash, my pants and socks are lined up to go in next at 60, my dish cloths were boiled in a pan on the hob last week, and that is all before I read the article. oh yes and I use powder not liquid!

Stands to reason that it is higher temperatures that kill the bugs in clothes and nappies!

Next

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies