hf1

Article about washing at low temperatures

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Article about washing at low temperatures

Postby ladybird » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:58 am

I've never boil washed anything :-? I understand that hospitals wash at 60c so I feel no need to wash hotter. Or do I??? We tend to use kitchen towels/cloths for a day and then they go to be washed.

My avatar
zelo
Clothie
Clothie

Postby zelo » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:02 pm

I found this a bit weird. My partner is from New Zealand and they only ever do cold washes there. But I also prefer to wash nappies at 60 as they don't feel perfectly clean otherwise. Since DS was born we went from 40 to 60 on most things simply because I tend to wash clothes with the nappies. Don't have the space to store dirty laundry.

My avatar
jclmellor
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby jclmellor » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:38 pm

i used to wash the nappies at 40 but then DD was getting nappy rash and thrush so i now always wash nappies at 60 to ensure all the bugs are gone. we use Surecare powder so nothing powerful and hardly ever hang out to dry in the sun (no sun here). i wash all the other stuff at 40.

My avatar
est4elvis
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby est4elvis » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:40 pm

Louise wrote:All our clothes are washed at 40 and nappies,towels and bedding at 60. I personally would never wash at lower temperatures.

WSS - too much of a clean freak :shock: :giggle:

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:32 pm

i have always did our bedding and towels at 60. Nappies were 60 as well. Clothes i do at 40 and i use bio powder. I add that vanish hygine to my lights wash as it has socks and pants in it.

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:33 pm

est4elvis wrote:
Louise wrote:All our clothes are washed at 40 and nappies,towels and bedding at 60. I personally would never wash at lower temperatures.

WSS - too much of a clean freak :shock: :giggle:

WTS

My avatar
wytch
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby wytch » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:42 pm

ladybird wrote:I do certain washes at 60 (bedding, towels, kitchen cloths, family wipes, etc), others at 40 and then delicates at 30.

same here. nappies and any clothes/bedding thats had a toilet accident or sick on has to be 60 wash in this house

My avatar
cath
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby cath » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:46 pm

I work in healthcare so all my work stuff goes on a boil wash with Napisan. I then do a quick wash cycle with a squirt of bleach to make sure the washer is clean. I admit to being a bit paranoid but the thought of all those bugs in my washer makes me squirm.
As for everything else-most things go on a quick wash at 40, nappies get 60, anything really dirty gets 60 & bedding & towels get 90.

Previous

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies