hf1

Stinky despite prewashing :(

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Stinky despite prewashing :(

Postby aimeet » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:24 am

My nappies are really smelly at the moment. I use a mixture of fitteds and pockets/aio/ai2 on a large rotation. I try to strip wash fairly frequently, every couple of months or so. I prewash or cold wash first, do a 60 degree wash with full dose of bio then rinse till there are no bubbles.
The nappies smell almsot ashy if that makes sense? Any advice please, I normally wash with one simply tab and prewash then either 40/60 degrees and rinse.
What am I doing wrong? :(

My avatar
knees_on
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Site Supporter

Re: Stinky despite prewashing :(

Postby knees_on » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:27 am

Does it affect your other washing? I find that our washing machine filter needs emptying and cleaning at least once a month or everything starts to smell stinky and yes, a bit ashy.

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:32 am

I probably don't clean it as often as I should :oops: but dh did it a couple of weeks ago and nappies still smell :?

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:35 am

when did you last do a maintenance wash on your machine?
If you have cleaned filters and done a maintenance wash recently put the nappies through the machine with a couple of teaspoons on bicarb...very good at getting rid of smells.

Oh and are you using powder or liquid?

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:36 am

I dont find the tabs are any good. I would switch to bio powder for your nappies. I use 1/3 of the recomended dose. I prewash, then a 60 wash, then sometimes give them another rinse if there were a few nasty nappies in there. Since doing this I havent had any smells at all and I dont need to do a strip wash at all

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:41 am

I use powder tabs or ecover bio powder. I also do a 90 wash with towels about every 2-3 weeks, should I do this with an empty machine instead? I have tried so many different powders, liquids. Even Bold and I hated the way it smelt, so artificial. I have used the eco balls in the past but didn't find thm all that good after a few washes.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:47 pm

It coulod probably be the ecover (which isn't recommended for nappies), I used it when we first started out thinking I was doing the right thing and after a few washes the nappies stunk. x

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:09 pm

I'd try a different powder and do a 30 C wash with a full dose then a 60 C with nothing then rinse with 1/2 White vinegar then rinse rinse. Until no bubbles that worked for us are getting them out of storage. But I found Simple tablets terrible. I now use Bold I don't love the smell but better than nappy stench.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:05 am

We've never had a problem with simply tabs. We do a 90 wash with an empty machine once a month.

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies