hf1

Bike carriers/ racks

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Bike carriers/ racks

Postby docmaggoo » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:45 pm

We need to be able to transport 4 bikes with the car, but ideally still be able to toe the trailer.

It's for when we go away camping (we are much happier with UK camping with the dog than package holidays abroad)

My brain is aching at trying to find one that will fit.

Anyone else got one/used one?

how sturdy are the ones that strap onto the back of the car window?
Are we best getting one that fits around the stem of the toe bar?

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Bike carriers/ racks

Postby Sunset » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:47 pm

Sorry no advice, we are after one as well so will be following this :)

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:58 pm

This is the one I've found will fit to the stem of the tow bar and allow is still to tow the trailer.

http://www.maxxraxx.co.uk/bike_racks_ca ... _swan.html

Or this is the one for the back of the car - DH is worried it'll be in the way of the tow ball???
http://m.evanscycles.com/products/holly ... e-ec005636

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:07 pm

We had similar to the first in Australia and it worked well although when we moved south from Queensland and the trailer was packed high we couldn't get any more than 2 bikes on as they got int he way of the load. Not tried the other sort.

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Dancing mum » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:41 pm

I don't have one but recently have seen several cars with a bike rack on the roof. The bikes are sort of stood completely upright so not entirely sure how they attach but seems very secure as cars drive around. Might be a good option as completely out the way of trailer.

My avatar
Kim
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Kim » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:08 am

Hi

We don't tow but have been through loads of carriers. The ones on the roof are ok but you need to factor in the cost of roof bars and one carrier per bike so it can work out really expensive. We have carried bikes like this this but always need a step ladder as our cars have always been tall and we are small.

The ones that strap on can be secure but don't buy a cheap one, you will probably regret it. The shape of the back of your car really determines how good the fit is. Our last rear carrier was a saris bones which we did get really secure but when we took it off it had dented the car. The problems we had with rear carriers were due our cars having a completely flat back ( think postman pat van with seats)

For our current car we decided to bite the bullet and buy the one that only fits our car from vw. We know it fits, it doesn't obscure the window, lights etc and we would be able to tow if we wanted to. The massive downside is it was £400!

I would double check the tow bar one you have linked as I am not sure you can tow with it.

Maybe contact a caravan club for advice as surely they would know about interfering with the tow ball etc.

Sorry that ended up being really long
K

My avatar
Kim
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Kim » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:25 am

Forgot to say that a strap one probably wouldn't interfere with towing as they tend to be high up over the back window.

I think I'm finished now.

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:56 pm

We have a roof rack one that will also attach to the top if the trailer. It's really good.
I'm feeding right now, but can find details later if you're interested?

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:29 am

@cuppachaplz
That would be great thanks
I definitely like that idea of attaching to top of trailer :)

Next

Return to The Great Outdoors