hf1

¡Hola!

My avatar
daisy_123
Clothie
Clothie

¡Hola!

Postby daisy_123 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:49 am

Hi, I'm a first-time mum to a gorgeous 8 month old baby girl in sunny Spain. I'm Irish though, and my LO was lucky enough to be born here - children are loved so much where we live, it's wonderful. We've been using cloth nappies full-time since LO was 3 months old. Cloth nappies aren't common here, (my baby's paediatrician never came across them before) and neither are other natural parenting practices such as babywearing. We do get a lot of "interest" when we are out and about with our baby carrier, but I just like to think we are helping make it normal practice round here. :giggle:

I've just joined this forum after avoiding it until now because when I checked it out before I could see how helpful the folks here are and I just knew I would spend too much time on here reading the posts... well, now I really need your help with something so I couldn't put it off anymore. I'll be posting another post for advice very soon (as long as LO stays napping)!

Would love to hear from any other parents in Spain, or any other immigrant parents, because that does bring its own set of challenges and it would be wonderful to share tips and insight.

Looking forward to becoming a part of the community!

¡Adios!

My avatar
Scotia
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: ¡Hola!

Postby Scotia » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:55 am

Hi and welcome to CNT :wave: :)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:38 am

:wave: :wave: Hola! Where abouts are you? We lived in Sitges for a couple of months as my dad had an apartment out there for work for a a couple of years. If either of us spoke Spanish it may have been somewhere I could have stayed!

I had my cloth baby in the south of France so so get where you are coming from! I had a 6 pack of bright bot terries and had a fight with a woman when they were on the line as she just wouldn't believe they were nappies and not handtowels :hohoho: :hohoho:

Look forward to chatting!

My avatar
daisy_123
Clothie
Clothie

Postby daisy_123 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:18 pm

Hi, we are near Seville. We love it here! Not sure where Stiges is... will have to check the map!

My avatar
emmab16
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby emmab16 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:44 pm

Hello & welcome :)

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:50 pm

:wave: There was another Irish mama living in Spain on here, but think she's moved back to Ireland :giggle: @solas

My avatar
solas
Clothie
Clothie

Postby solas » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:24 pm

Thanks for tagging me Shaunie :hug:

Hola Guapa,
I´m Karyn and lived in Barcelona for 6.5years only moving back to Dublin last August :D Both my daughters were born there and we cloth bummed the first full time from the time she was 6 months old (we did use the Bambino Mios when she was born but never got on with them and then lost my nerve until she was 6 months and then tried again and ended up addicted :hohoho: ). With my dd2 being born in September and us living in a tiny apartment with no ventilation I had to use disposables because our walls were completely mildewed with trying to dry mountains of washing :(
We also used a sling and like you got weird looks :hohoho: My paediatrician had never seen cloth nappies and was really enthusiastic and interested in them but less so in their amber necklaces which she used to lecture me about every time she saw me :roll: :D
My girls are 5 and 3 and well out of nappies so I´m not on here much but feel free to pm me if you think there´s anything I can help you with or if you want a chat :wink: Everyone on here is lovely and welcoming, you´ll get mountains of information and advice and probably end up with a healthy addiction to fluff or wool and an empty wallet :hohoho:
xxx

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:08 pm

@Alex_Izan another mama in Spain!

My avatar
Alex_Izan
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Alex_Izan » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:15 am

¡Hola chicas!

Yes, I live in Madrid, but I am brazilian actually! :D My husband is spanish and our little one is spanish too, he is 22 months old, my dear Izan (this name is something like Ethan in spanish, LOL). We use cloth nappies since he was 10 months old and I am totally adicted! In one year I built a large stash and we use disponsables just in travels.

It is true, in Spain we have few cloth nappies, but I believe it is changing. Here in Madrid we have 2 stores that sells cloth nappies but we can find some on line ones, the spanish cloth nappy mummies love Pop In (by Close Parent), Blueberry, Itti Bitti, and there are some wonderful WAHM ones, like Maripuri Tijeritas, who does lovely nappies, very beautiful and with excellent quality. I am cloth nappy advisor from a store which is based in Vigo, Bebés Naturales. In the last Cloth Diaper Challenge we participated in 4 cities, I think.

The big problem in Spain to use cloth is the VAT, here we must pay VAT for cloth nappies, it is not free like UK because government says it is baby wear, like shrits, trousers or shoes, so it is very expensive to buy cloth nappies here. But we also have second hand foruns like CNT, as El Trapicheo, El Mercadillo de Crianza Natural and also a group in Facebook. Spanish mummies love english and american nappies, we also have Fuzzi Bunz, Wonderoo, Real Easy, Charlie Banana, Bumgenius ecc.

I am very glad to know you, if you need some advice or if you have any doubt about cloth nappies in Spain (where to find, internet foruns ecc) write to me! :wink:

Thank you Shaunie to invite me to tell my experience here! And do more friends too!

Next

Return to Welcome Newcomers