hf1

Hi all

My avatar
poghag
Clothie
Clothie

Hi all

Postby poghag » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:39 pm

Hi - not a mum yet... due very soon though. Been going to some really helpful Leche League meetings for several months and was directed here by them. Interested in being a Clothie but not sure how it will fit in with my shocking housework ethic/small house not much drying space/no tumble drier/unwillingness to have heating on 24/7.

Started reading a few posts about which nappies to try - interested in your "What I thought then compared to what I know now" thread... sounds like I should maybe try to get a few different types to see what suits Small (sex unknown).

Anyway - nice to know there's somewhere to come for general parenting advice too... see you out there soon! In the meantime any helpful advice for starting out with clothies would be ace. In the meantime, I guess it's all out there on previous threads anyway so I'll start browsing.

My avatar
The Tree Fairy
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict
Site Supporter

Hi all

Postby The Tree Fairy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:45 pm

Hi poghag. Welcome to Cloth Nappy Tree :wave:

I hope you enjoy using the site - there are plenty of areas to explore, if you can't find something or have any questions just ask, everyone is friendly and helpful :-D

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Hi all

Postby sim » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:13 pm

:wave:
Welcome to the Tree. We are a friendly lot :D
When is Small due to arrive?

I guess if you have limited drying facilities flat nappies with wraps / wool are a good starting point.

I personally prefer fitted nappies to pockets but it depends on you and your baby so getting a range is a good idea to start. It's worth remembering that small babies wee a lot as their only intake is fluids so you need to consider absorbency too. My 4 month old is a spectacularly heavy wetter :roll: so we get a very occasional leak overnight (12 hours plus) in cloth, but I can add boosting to adapt a nappy whereas he can out pee a disposable just by looking at it ;)

Any questions just ask and someone will be along with an answer .

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:15 pm

Hi and welcome! Maybe borrow a doll and find a cloth library?! Where abouts are you based?

My avatar
poghag
Clothie
Clothie

Postby poghag » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:36 pm

sim wrote::wave:
Welcome to the Tree. We are a friendly lot :D
When is Small due to arrive?

I guess if you have limited drying facilities flat nappies with wraps / wool are a good starting point.

Hospital gave me 20th September due date because Small was big at 12 week scan - this is a fortnight ahead of my own calculated dates and I've still got a good spring in my step and am sleeping brilliantly, so I really don't think he's going to arrive too soon (always call him he to make life easier).

What sort of brands should I start looking at if I'm looking for flat nappies with wraps/wool please?

ems101 wrote:Hi and welcome! Maybe borrow a doll and find a cloth library?! Where abouts are you based?

I'm Beds/Cambs borders. Haven't heard of cloth libraries round here, and I'm sure the LLL lot would know about them if there were.

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:53 pm

Bright bots terries have a good reputation.
I like motherease wraps but they aren't the slimmest option out there. As for wool, you can get it preloved on here or from a knitting WAHM (or knit yourself!)

My avatar
poghag
Clothie
Clothie

Postby poghag » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:00 pm

So a wrap is something you put a pocket or a booster in, and an AIO is as it says on the tin. I would hardly believe that wool could work till I read the "starting out vs. what you know now" thread.

Thanks sim - will check out your recommendations.

Have looked over the site and am still bamboozled by the choice! I guess if I'm looking not to spend too much I should just get a selection of preloved, no matter what it is, and try to work out what seems to suit us.

My avatar
poghag
Clothie
Clothie

Postby poghag » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:02 pm

Ah! Dopey me has only just looked at the home page, having been a little overwhelmed by the rest of the site first. Off to read...

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:46 pm

Certain fabrics will dry quicker but are therefore less absorbant. Eg micro fibre will be quick drying abd absorbes quickly vut doesnt hold much so youd need to change more frequently and have more nappies. Bamboo is v absorbant but slow to dry.

Personally, id get sone flat terries, some wraps, some fitted bamboos for nights, and try some pockets or aois. Little lamb will be having a sale on their Facebook page on thursday it might ve a good place to get some bargains!

Next

Return to Welcome Newcomers