Hello

My avatar
Lil_unbalanced
Clothie
Clothie

Hello

Postby Lil_unbalanced » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:24 am

Hello,
I thought I'd join you all here, I'm a mum to be, I'm due 2nd June with 1st baby.
I'm planning on using cloth nappies, so much so that I've bought a Charlie bananas birth to potty kit and some tots bots stretchies for night time, these were recommended by the nappy lady after filling out her survey.
I have a question regarding pre washing to get the absorbency.
Shall I just put them on a rinse and drain a few times or will they need a proper 40 degree wash?
Also should I wash the inserts separate to the outers and not sure if the colours will run on the Charlie bananas, I have some very bright colours?

Thank you in advance

My avatar
The Tree Fairy
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict
Site Supporter

Hello

Postby The Tree Fairy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:00 am

Hi Lil_unbalanced. Welcome to Cloth Nappy Tree :wave:

I hope you enjoy using the site - there are plenty of areas to explore, if you can't find something or have any questions just ask, everyone is friendly and helpful :-D

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Hello

Postby Dancing mum » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:38 am

Hi :wave:
I have some bright Charlie Bananas and haven't had any problem with colours running. You can wash the inserts and outers all together.
What I've always done for prewashing nappies (and has worked well) is stick them all in the bath (or baby bath if there's not many) and soak over night with detergent in the water. Then stick them through washing machine on a short cycle without detergent so they are fully rinsed.
One thing I would say though is don't be disheartened if the Charlie Bananas are quite bulky to begin with. My LO was 8lb 7oz and they were still quite bulky to start with. The adjustable leg elastics definitely meant we got a better fit than our other birth-to-potty nappies in the early months though and they are perfect now :thumbsup:

My avatar
Lil_unbalanced
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Lil_unbalanced » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:52 am

@dancing mum that's a brill idea! I'll be doing that.

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Dancing mum » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:10 am

Glad I could help :wink:

My avatar
Lil_unbalanced
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Lil_unbalanced » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:55 pm

I tried to post a photo of my bright nappies in the bath but it won't let me?!
Also I have another quick question, can anyone recommend some coloured washable liners?
I know they do lots of plain ones but want them to be distinguishable between the inserts and boosters, will help me I'm sure and also wanting to make it as easy as possible for hubby.
:roll:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:39 pm

Congratulations on your pregnancy how exciting! And great decision to use cloth :thumbsup: :wink:

I always just chuck new nappies on for one wash to get out any factory gunk and then just use them as usual, yes absorbency will improve over the next few washes but that is the easiest way to do it!

You can only post pics after you have posted 3 times - it is a measure to stop spammers from posting masses of pictures - you have now posted 3 times so you should be right to go! @Lil_unbalanced If you are still having trouble have a look in our gallery help forum viewforum.php?f=195 or ask away if you still can't work it out.

Lil_unbalanced wrote:Also I have another quick question, can anyone recommend some coloured washable liners?

The easiest and cheapest thing to do is find a fleece blanket or some fleece by the metre in a fabric shop and cut them up yourself - costs a fraction of buying them and no sewing skills required and you can have a huge choice of colours / patterns :D

My avatar
Lil_unbalanced
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Lil_unbalanced » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:16 pm

Thank you clothmama, oh that's a great cheap idea, I'm useless at sewing so glad no sewing is involved!

Return to Welcome Newcomers