Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Newbie to forums

Postby 4timeslucky » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:41 pm

Hi Everybody
This is the first forum I've joined.

I live with my partner and 4 kids

Jake (with my ex) nearly 14 - didnt even consider cloth :cry:

Rowan (girl), 9 - only knew about laundry service & couldnt afford initial outlay at the time (month deposit & month in advance) :oops:

Aldo, 2 1/2, - I didnt get around to using cloth until he was about 6months old, unfortunately had such a crappy next pregnancy that cloth nappies went out the window.

He occasionally uses the potty and I'm thinking of going back to cloth for night time as he's taking an interest now his sister is using them.
Any suggestions, dont think he will take to large nappies/much stuffing as used to disposables and for his pjs to fit - hemp stuffing maybe? one of the few things I havent tried - he likes his blue cow lollipop stuffable!

My daughter Severin is 6 weeks yesterday. I have been using cloth since she was about 2 weeks old. I have yet to take the plunge for night time but I have just bought 2 pre-loved minki huggles to try. :D

I have a varied collection of nappies, including some from Freecycle (which I love and would recommend), but would love to try some more. I might get some small fuzzibunz (Aldo had a medium) which my partner could use - HE HAS YET TO CHANGE ANY CLOTH NAPPIES!!

I would love to make some and have done loads of research on the net - so much so that I havent had time to try and make any but have just bought some lovely wool and started to knit a soaker.

Sorry this has turned into an essay.

Kath

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:48 pm

Hi Kath and a big welcome :D :D !! I'll reply properly in the morning I've been trying to go to bed for ages but accidently just bought a new nappy which kept me here 1/2 hour!!!

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby HannahBanana » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:57 pm

Hi Kath!! What a great forum to join for your first :lol: :lol:

I'm a proper loser and a member of a few! haha! But this is by far the friendliest :lol: :lol:

Have a look at some pocket nappies for Aldo. A few people have told me they used Fuzzis for bed for potty training. I think Minki do a pull up too.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:38 am

Hi again Kath!

Hemp is a very thin, very absorbant option. It really does depend on how heavily he wets at night. If he only occasionally wets during the night or lightly then you should be fine with a pocket nappy. You can adjust how many layers of hemp you need. Also with hemp it needs about 12 washes until it hits full absorbancy and you will need to put a microfibre cloth or something on top of the hemp as hemp is slow to absorb. bamboo is another thin but absorbant option. babeco has hemp and bamboo by the metre. I made my own hemp inserts at a fraction of the price of buying them. If you look in the diy section there are a few measurements that the girls have put up of various types of inserts in hemp. Pocket bots do a night weight pocket nappy which is extra thick pul which could be a good option.

Wool soakers are fab, they are all I use at night with Louis - I can't knit though, have to get mil to do it!!!

Ask away if you have any other questions! Look forward to chatting!

My avatar
skaheadpunk
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby skaheadpunk » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:12 pm

Hiya Kath, welcome to the board - don't be put off by my ranting about my ex! Usually we're all much more positive.

My 3 year old does giant wees in the night (!) and I use an XL Fuzzi Bunz with the normal microfibre insert and a hemp one under that, which is not THAT bulky, but certainly nothing like a disposable! I just buy his PJs a size too big.

My 7 week old was in all XS Fuzzis at first (she went down to 6lbs and nothing else fitted), and I really get on well with those - now I've started to get really sick of pastel colours though! The smalls and other sizes come in loads of colours though, which is good. I also use Pocket Bots and Blueberries on her.

Welcome to the world of cloth addiction, best to cut up your credit card now!

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Pinchette » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:41 pm

Hi Kath,

Welcome to the board.
I'm Gisele, mum to Kiara 15 months old (converted to cloth 2 months ago and loving it). :lol: I'm also spending so much time looking for instructions and patterns on the net to make nappies that I haven't got round to actually making any. I'm cr@p at sewing anyway and I don't have a sewing machine. I went as far as making inserts so far. :lol:

Looking forward to chatting more
Gisele

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:02 pm

Hi Kath and welcome to the board. It is ace here, I am sure you will love it.
I am Annette, mum to Charlotte who is 16 months and has been in cloth pretty much since birth.
I am sure we can give you loads of great advice on nappies. I think Em's suggestion of XL Fuzzis would be a good one. Or you could try Bumgenius pockets as then they might fit both of your lo's.

My avatar
4timeslucky
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Great help

Postby 4timeslucky » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:55 pm

Hi
Thanks for some great replies :D , especially the tips on hemp, mf & bamboo. I fancy making some inserts to start, where is a good place to buy the hemp? presumably on-line somewhere? Also looking at forum found out about always having a layer on top of microfibre which I didnt know.
Gisele, I haven't ever done much sewing - just like the idea - at the moment I have a machine but buried on our dining room table with lots of stuff/crap! :cry:
And yes, I already had the feeling I'd better watch my credit card as always looking at different ones even when I have plenty! :evil:

I do have a few other questions, where should I post them? here or general nappy chat?

Thanks
Kath

My avatar
skaheadpunk
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Great help

Postby skaheadpunk » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:00 pm

4timeslucky wrote:Hi
Thanks for some great replies :D , especially the tips on hemp, mf & bamboo. I fancy making some inserts to start, where is a good place to buy the hemp? presumably on-line somewhere? Also looking at forum found out about always having a layer on top of microfibre which I didnt know.
Gisele, I haven't ever done much sewing - just like the idea - at the moment I have a machine but buried on our dining room table with lots of stuff/crap! :cry:
And yes, I already had the feeling I'd better watch my credit card as always looking at different ones even when I have plenty! :evil:

I do have a few other questions, where should I post them? here or general nappy chat?

Thanks
Kath

Babeco sell hemp and other nappy fabrics - babeco.co.uk/BuyFabrics.html

If it's about nappies I'd say for the the nappy chat, or if it's just general stuff, general stuff. Where ever it fits best really.

Next

Return to Welcome Newcomers