hf1

My avatar
smegs1978
Clothie
Clothie

Postby smegs1978 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:22 pm

Hello,

I am mum to Charlie who is 8 and half weeks. He has been in cloth for about 4 weeks now and i am loving it.

I have been using Coolababy, Naughty Baby, Bum Genius V3, totbots, itti bitti d'lish and have just bought a wonderoo but not yet used.

We use a bum genius with 2 inserts at night and they last a good 12 to 14 hours, however am struggling to find one that will last more than about 2 hours in the day. They are leaking and we generally have to completely change him.

Should i be using different inserts as most of them are pocket nappies?

If anyone can recommend anything then that would be great.

Shelley.

My avatar
g murphy
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Newbie

Postby g murphy » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:58 pm

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Hi Shelley :wave:

Welcome to the tree. Is it all your nappies that are leaking or just one particular brand? Are they new or second hand? How are you washing them (how much detergent, which one, what temp etc)

I have a SUPER wetter. She can outpee most nappies but what works for us is bamboo and hemp. Microfibre (the material that the BG inserts are made out of) is useless for heavy wetters so bamboo or a bamboo/hemp combo would work best. But even my superwetter wasn't wetting that much at 8 weeks so I do wonder whether there is another issue & that is why I asked the questions above.

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:16 pm

Welcome :wave: :wave:
My names ant and im a cloth mummy to be :giggle: Due in feb. i havent used cloth, but have picked up a lot of info from being here so hope this helps
If you are using the microfibre inserts that come with the pocket nappies then they probable are not absorbant enough. also microfibre cna squish the wee out which might be why they are leeking. Have you tired any other insert other than microfible such as bamboo or hemp?

My avatar
smegs1978
Clothie
Clothie

Postby smegs1978 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:29 pm

All the pocket ones except the bum genius ones are leaking. They all came with microfibre inserts which I have been using, so do I need to replace these with something else? They were all new and have been washed in surcare probably about 4 to 6 times now. They are washed on 60 degrees. I find even the itti bitti ones aio don't last very long but think I am going to buy some snap in liners for them.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:31 pm

Surcare powder or liquid and how much of it?

My avatar
smegs1978
Clothie
Clothie

Postby smegs1978 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:35 pm

Its powder and i don't know how much just put some in the tray. Could i be using to much or should i be buying something else to wash them in. They get put on a wash on there own so can buy a separate powder.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:52 pm

Powder is good. Just checking that you were not using liquid because liquid is not good for cloth nappies. You could be using too much powder. Depending on the hardness of the water in your area, you only need to use a couple of teaspoon of powder. Anymore can cause build up of detergent & leaking.

Try stripping your nappies. Wash the nappies on cold wash with a full dose (normal scoop you use when washing clothes) of detergent, then wash at 60 with no powder, then do a few rinses (at least 2 or 3)

If they still leak after doing a strip, try boosting the nappies with some bamboo or hemp boosters. Easy Peasy hemp boosters are great. They fit perfectly into the BG nappies & you just put them under the microfibre insert. For the smaller nappies, Little Lamb bamboo boosters are great. Both can be bought on ebay

My avatar
smegs1978
Clothie
Clothie

Postby smegs1978 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:56 pm

Thats great, thanks for the reply.

I think i may have been using to much powder going by what you have suggested. I have now bought some hemp boosters and will try them instead of the microfibre ones.

Next

Return to Welcome Newcomers