hf1

Confused newbie saying hello

My avatar
ALL5
Clothie
Clothie

Confused newbie saying hello

Postby ALL5 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:56 pm

I am 28 weeks pregnant, and will shortly be delivering our little miracle.

I really want to use cloth nappies but am finding the whole process a little over whelming to be honest, my doesn't that sound dramatic :)

basically I want something that will dry easily. I know what the prefolded nappies/sqaures look like, but am confused. Do you use these alone with a wrap....or are these for use in a 'pocket nappy'. Does a pocket nappy need a wrap?

I have found the section that explains the types of nappies, but can't seem to work out my question.

Any help greatly appreciated...plus any tips on which section is the best to post general questions.

Thanks everyone,

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: Confused newbie saying hello

Postby JabberJabber » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:00 pm

Hello, welcome to the tree and congratulations on your pregnancy. I hope all has gone well so far and you are looking forward to meeting your baby.

The prefolds and squares do need a wrap, as they are absorbant, but not wasterproof on the outside.

Pocket nappies do not need a wrap, as they have a waterproof layer on the outside. They normally come with some inserts, but as your baby grows and changes, you may need to adjust this depending on how much they wee.

My avatar
Cj2011
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Cj2011 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:14 pm

Hi :wave:

It is all a bit overwhelming in the beginning but I found that once I started using them it all made more sense :thumbsup:

My avatar
ALL5
Clothie
Clothie

Postby ALL5 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:52 pm

Thanks for that lady, does one type dry faster then the other, or is that open to debate.

Which thread should I go on to for a general discussions on prefold v pocket, and the advantages and disadvantages of each. I don't seem to be so quick in finding my way aroudn the forum.

My avatar
g murphy
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby g murphy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:25 pm

:wave: :wave: :wave:

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:19 pm

ALL5 wrote:does one type dry faster then the other, or is that open to debate.

It's kind of hard to say which one dries faster because it depends alot on what material the nappy is made out of. Microfibre would be the quickest to dry but it is also the least absorbant.

Prefolds have the advantage of opening out & pocket nappies are separate parts so, generally speaking, they would both be quick drying. Best advice I can give you is to read in the relevant sections on the forum. Have a look in the "Fitted or shaped cloth nappies", "pocket nappies", "All in ones" and "wraps" sections & ask any questions you might have.

HTH

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Cyrillia » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:13 pm

:wave: :wave: :wave:

My avatar
flossyfly
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby flossyfly » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:52 pm

:wave: Hello :wave:

My avatar
jclmellor
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby jclmellor » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:05 pm

hi, welcome and good luck with your search. if i can offer any advice to you it would be to start with cloth nappies when your baby is about 12 weeks old (before then, they will be too bit on her/him, unless you get the xs nappies). the best in my opinion are the fitted nappies with a wrap (or wool or fleece on the outside) when they are very young. when they get older you could move on to pockets when they have more solid poo (lol!) but we're just staying with the two part system as it's so reliable and we love wool on the outside. i've never tried prefolds as they seem quite a lot of work. btw, if you buy lots of nappies you dont need to worry about drying times lol! bamboo and hemp is most absorbant. good luck!!! xxx

Next

Return to Welcome Newcomers