Recovery after a Caesarean Section.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Recovery after a Caesarean Section.

Postby clothmama » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:22 am

:wave: :wave: I'm fine with going to theatre for a CS and all that entails, checking ceasar wounds in the early days and helping mums up after the event :giggle: but now I'm home and beyond what I'm used to dealing with I'm feeling a bit confused!

What should I be expecting in the coming 2nd week?
My pain has definitely reduced, I am just taking Voltaren and panadol now, none of the stronger meds, and the last 2 days not taken until 4pm. Emotionally I feel more overwhelmed and :cry: than after the others, but perhaps that is external stuff! I'm definitely tireder than normal too. My dressing came down on day 5 and there has just been the steri stips, I took them off today and there was a bit of ooze, not a lot and I'm hoping just old stuff from the strips. I'm washing and drying well twice a day.

If you had a caesarean:
  • What were you doing when physically wise?
  • When did you start driving?
  • When did you start walking (as in going for walks not just walking - I'm all good with that :wink: :giggle: )?
  • Have you got any other tips or advice about the healing?
  • Did you put anything on your scar - cream / oil or anything like that?

I know I'm not as mentally prepared as I should be for all this, it was just never on my radar that I would need one. I now realise how silly that was!!

Look forward to hearing about your experiences :hug:

My avatar
Bernadette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Recovery after a Caesarean Section.

Postby Bernadette » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:36 am

Hi Tory @clothmama

I had a CS with Fin. It was an emergency so was not prepared either. I felt fine. I was released on day 2 from the hospital and started doing little walks around Walthamstow probably week 3.

The midwife removed my stitches and signed me off at 5 weeks ( a week early) but we had a holiday planned.

So at 6 weeks we were snowboarding in Meribel. When it was booked we never imagined that I would have a CS and thought he would come naturally. It was fine just a bit tender.

I never put any creams on it just let it heal naturally and there really isn't a scar now that you can see.

Just take it at the pace that feels right for you.

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:45 am

My first one was horrific but I think that was because it was a real emergency (they gave me a general as there was no time to do a spinal) it completely floored me. It was at least 6 weeks before I could walk anywhere properly, I couldn't push the pram (supermarket trolleys where also a nightmare) or carry sam in the sling. The second one was better but I think I was more prepared and they where much gentler as it was planned. I was out and about after about 2 weeks, I struggled with things like the dishwasher and washing machine because of the bending. Tom was born 6 years ago and at times I still get a twinge when I'm pushing a heavy supermarket trolley and around the scar area it still has a numb sensation. Take it easy, it will get better! I am alway very jealous of mums with brand new babies stood at the school gates looking well and standing up straight :hohoho:

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:56 am

Two weeks pp I took a very slow stroll around the block. Mine used to Hurt when I wore jeans for a couple of months. I took very few meds, nothing after a week I think. I think partly that was because I was soooo emotional and probably suffering pnd as mine too was an emergency and very stressful. I didn't realise it aS pnd until a few years later (and I'm a mental health professional!)

We are generally not allowed to drive until wk6

Take it easy honey. You've been through a lot. No pressure, but I found talking about the birth helped. Maybe do your birth story?

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Dora » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:50 am

I felt more or less back to normal after 2 weeks from memory (had occasional sharp twinges for a few weeks after that of course after sudden movements-esp rolling in bed) but I made sure I never lifted the shopping, car seat,loaded/emptied washing machine (ours is a top loader)-I went walking a week or so after with baby in sling. I dont recommend this but I really had no choice to get properly moving as I had a 2 year old to look after too and I felt that the longer I stayed inactive the more it really hurt afterwards when trying to do something. Just listen to your body-if I felt a twinge I stopped and stopped/took it easy. Getting out of bed like I normally did (sitting bolt upright) prior to cs floored me a few times!! :0 having the dressings removed made it all more tender for a few days and felt like a step backwards-that will calm down. I took a low dose of ibuprofen when it flared up. Dont drive so cant comment on that (hence the bw'ing above)-and I put nothing on the scar. Everyone is different so just listen to your body-it'll tell when it's too much x

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:39 pm

:hug: :hug:

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:40 pm

Pretty much back to normal by 2 weeks with Penny, was driving, walking, carrying etc... But only a little a day until about 4 weeks! After that was totally normal. With both c-sections I had oozing, it's really normal. Used to use maternity pad undertake apron bit if I was out for any length of time.

Was probably closer to 8 weeks before I could wear knickers that had elastic near my scar though. X

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:46 pm

clothmama wrote:What should I be expecting in the coming 2nd week?
My pain has definitely reduced, I am just taking Voltaren and panadol now, none of the stronger meds, and the last 2 days not taken until 4pm. Emotionally I feel more overwhelmed and :cry: than after the others, but perhaps that is external stuff! I'm definitely tireder than normal too. My dressing came down on day 5 and there has just been the steri stips, I took them off today and there was a bit of ooze, not a lot and I'm hoping just old stuff from the strips. I'm washing and drying well twice a day.

By the end of the second week I was still taking pain killers and anti inflammatories twice a day. I wasn't in significant pain in the mornings but I found I kept on top of it and was less tired if I took a dose in the morning and another at about 4 or 5 pm. By the end of week 3 I was meds free.

The toll on my body and emotions was definitely significantly greater with Ewan's CS than Lachlan's VBAC. It was an 'emergency' but no one was at risk, he was just stuck.

If you had a caesarean:
  • What were you doing when physically wise?
  • When did you start driving?
  • When did you start walking (as in going for walks not just walking - I'm all good with that :wink: :giggle: )?
  • Have you got any other tips or advice about the healing?
  • Did you put anything on your scar - cream / oil or anything like that?

I was getting out of the house at the end of week one, going for short slow walks in the park at the end of week two and largely ok by the end of week 3 unless I over exerted myself. I did no lifting or bending for the first 2 weeks other than picking up Ewan and carrying him in a sling and very little for the next 2, which I think helped a lot.

I started driving after about 4 weeks as our insurer didn't stipulate a time frame and I was happy I could safely do an emergency stop if needed.

I took arnica to help with bruising but that's all. The MW suggested tucking a pad into my knickers on the scar to absorb any moisture or ooze which also helped cushion it a bit too.

I've not put anything else in the scar and it's barely visible unless you know it is there. I still have numbness in parts but that's all. It was mentally itchy when healing though!

I did suffer PTSD after having Ewan, but that was associated with the fact the epidural failed on one side as I was being stitched up and I felt that the cascade of interventions that led to the CS were all but forced on me without proper discussion, explanation or reasoning.

I agree with ems that talking about it helps :hug:

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:57 pm

Emotionally my first caesarean amscar still hasn't healed, I still feel crap and out of control about it. My elective section on the other hand is not an issue at all and was a lovely experience.

If you are feeling anything emotionally about it then you need to talk about it, otherwise it can stay unresolved in your head. It's a lot to get over and I was only 26 & 30 when I had mine And I was taking my pain mess a lot longer the second time round.

Best advice for recovery, listen to your body! If you are tired, rest. If you bleed heavier, spend the day in bed because you probably did too much the day before. X

Next

Return to Labour and Birth