hf1

Overweight and labour

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Overweight and labour

Postby smilinglou » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:38 am

I've always been slim but on new medication I gained about 3 stone in a year, I'm size 18 and get out of breath easily.
Will labour be more difficult? How do I prepare for pushing etc?

I really went for it when pushing my son out as I knew I was on a time limit (vbac) and just wanted it over, I was induced and on the drip and had an epidural as the pain is more intense with the drip. I remember how hard it was and am a bit worried about ending with a c section this time or forceps etc

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: Overweight and labour

Postby JabberJabber » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:50 am

I'm not a medical professional so please don't take my thoughts as perfect advice.

However, are you able to get a level of fitness suitable to your stage of pregnancy? Are you able to go to some pregnancy yoga or plates sessions or go to a prenatal swimming group? Improving core muscle strength and general fitness was something suggested for me when I was pregnant with Isaac, but totally designed for being pregnant.

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:27 am

I get really anxious going out so it's difficult but I could do something at home perhaps

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:56 am

Have you been able to talk to your midwife about your concerns?

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru

Postby girlinleeds » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:34 pm

I know all pregnancies are different, but due to my hip problems I ended up massively overweight, my bmi was 35+ and other than issues with positioning due to severe spd I had no issues with labour itself. if you can try to do some exercise to improve your health abit it could only make things easier xxx

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:53 pm

I would really recommend YouTube as a source for finding good workoutvideos that are good for pregnant :pregnant: I can connect to YouTube on my TV from AppleTV and are currently doing 30 shred and some pilates, but I am not pregnant (yet) so don't have to think about what I do.

Its (almost) always recommend that if you are overweight and pregnant that you exercise :thumbsup: But I would always talk to my doctor or midwife before engaging into exercise when pregnant - just to make sure that there are not any exercises you should stay away from (like abdominal exercises and so)

:hug:

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:10 pm

Thanks everyone.
I have spd so my hips and back hurt constantly but I'm sure I could do some exercises. I can get YouTube on the tv so will try that x

Return to Labour and Birth