First chickens home! Pics pg 2 :)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

First chickens home! Pics pg 2 :)

Postby clothmama » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:15 pm

All I need for Christmas is some chickens :yahoo: :happysanta: :loveit: :happysanta: :yahoo: :giggle:

Going to pick up one Sussex, one red (not sure which sort - will ask him tomorrow) and one harco (black with copper spots around neck). Here they are:

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: First chickens coming home tomorrow!

Postby autumnalgirl » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:39 pm

Chooks!!!!! :happypixies:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:41 am

:panic: what am I going to call them?????

Originally I was going to have Clara as one of my first chooks names but now I've called the caravan that so not sure if I should still use it :hohoho: . The red one is going to be Clementine as that is christmassy :hohoho: :happysanta: :happysanta: . So Clara in the running as well and maybe Mabel - thinking that would suit a Sussex (the white with black spots). Any other ideas? I'm not letting the boys help with my first chookie babies as they will be called all sorts of things then :hohoho: :hohoho:

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:17 am

All (or nearly all) are named after book characters! How about reibdeer names as it's nearly Christmas?

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:20 am

Exciting :yahoo: Real pics of when they arrive we need :giggle:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:56 am

Been to the barn and got out the old coop my friend gave me (waaaaay more dodgy than I remembered it :-? :giggle: ) and brought it up to the room next to the house, the new waterer and feeder and the bag of grain in it's little purple bin (I was all organised!). The stuff is for big chickens so hope it isn't too big for the babies - I'll ask the guy and get others if I need to. The grain is out of date but looks and smells OK so I'm sure it is fine! J just added some screws where needed and I've given it a bit of a clean. I'm not sure if straw is OK for bedding or if I need shavings at this stage :panic:.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:57 am

autumnalgirl wrote:All (or nearly all) are named after book characters! How about reibdeer names as it's nearly Christmas?

Not sure I want to be that Christmassy :hohoho: Clementine is good and maybe Holly but I think Rudolph would be a bit much :hohoho: :hohoho: Actually maybe the black one could be Vixen :giggle: :happysanta:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:04 am

Help I'm :panic: and can't remember all the weeks of reading I've done on the subject - what should I use as bedding for them in the little coop (seem to have confusion in brain about straw)? What about in the box to pick them up - is straw OK? @autumnalgirl @Allie

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:00 pm

I think ours came home in an empty box, but they were bigger. Just pop a little in, you can always take it out again!
We have used straw, currently have some wood shaving stuff. Depends what we can get!

Next

Return to The Chicken Coop