Mabel is sitting down a lot :(

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Mabel is sitting down a lot :(

Postby clothmama » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:10 am

autumnalgirl wrote:Hurrah!!! Glad she's ok! Ours have ACV. They also have something else. I'll look later and see what it is.

That would be great Christi thanks @autumnalgirl :thumbsup: How much of the ACV do you use? I've read hugely varying amounts to put in which is why I've not yet done it! Also been reading on backyardchickens about sudden chicken death :panic: apparently they can just literally drop dead :shock: :shock: :shock: I didn't read about that before I started this chicken journey :giggle: :giggle: Anything to help that not happen is good!

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:28 am

great she is ok :thumbsup: :hug:

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Allie » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:39 am

Glad to hear she's ok @clothmama

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:43 pm

You know she isn't terrible but I'm sure she is still not right, I noticed when I had them out in the garden this afternoon - she can walk but then she kind of sits down or does a funny thing with her wings :-? she is eating, drinking and pooing and seems happy enough - really not sure what to do. I think she would be really sad and lonely if I brought her in and the others seem fine. :loopy: :loopy: this chicken caper is not as easy as I thought!

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:33 am

Does she spread her wings out when she sits down?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:18 am

autumnalgirl wrote:Does she spread her wings out when she sits down?

Not not really although sometimes she does sort of open them but briefly, she isn't sitting there with them spread out if that makes sense @autumnalgirl

Just been to check this morning and she is still sitting down :-? :( but pecking and her eyes look bright. I wonder if I should try to get my hands on some vitamins or something????

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:36 am

Have you checked her wings? Maybe one is hurting. Are there any farms near by where they have chickens? Maybe there is a farmer that can help. Just make sure not to bring her close to their chickens since there are some poultry diseases in the South of EU (my dad talked about it at Christmas) @clothmama

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:52 am

I have a couple of friends / neighbours with lots of chickens I can maybe ask one of them, that's a good idea @Aeseldyr . I did check her wings the other day and I couldn't see anything obvious. I guess there is always the chance that Remy has accidently hurt her (I try to discourage it / closely supervise but he loves them and keeps picking them up). I'll have another look when I get them out (still a bit damp and cold where thier day run is as sun not on it yet).

Aeseldyr wrote:Just make sure not to bring her close to their chickens since there are some poultry diseases in the South of EU (my dad talked about it at Christmas)

:panic: like what??????

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:01 am

clothmama wrote:I have a couple of friends / neighbours with lots of chickens I can maybe ask one of them, that's a good idea @Aeseldyr .

Aeseldyr wrote:Just make sure not to bring her close to their chickens since there are some poultry diseases in the South of EU (my dad talked about it at Christmas)

:panic: like what??????

Sounds good with asking a friend :thumbsup:
I can't remember what it was :apology: he said but you should always make sure that no one with poultry comes near your chicks

PreviousNext

Return to The Chicken Coop