My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Mabel is sitting down a lot :(

Postby clothmama » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Aeseldyr wrote:
clothmama wrote::cry: :cry: :cry: she's doing it again this morning - but even worse - she seems to be putting her wings out to balance herself :-? and when I was checking her over for anything obvious her foot was kind of fisted up instead of being splayed out like normal. :-? :-? No idea what is wrong with her - her face is fine - eyes etc

Hard to tell :hug: @clothmama maybe a bit much for a chick but I would call the vet

I don't know what to do - I'm guessing a vet is going to be €50 or something - I can't afford to do that every time one of them is sick!

I'm reading and freaking myself out - what if it is Mareks disease :panic:

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:13 pm

clothmama wrote:
Aeseldyr wrote:
clothmama wrote::cry: :cry: :cry: she's doing it again this morning - but even worse - she seems to be putting her wings out to balance herself :-? and when I was checking her over for anything obvious her foot was kind of fisted up instead of being splayed out like normal. :-? :-? No idea what is wrong with her - her face is fine - eyes etc

Hard to tell :hug: @clothmama maybe a bit much for a chick but I would call the vet

I don't know what to do - I'm guessing a vet is going to be €50 or something - I can't afford to do that every time one of them is sick!

I'm reading and freaking myself out - what if it is Mareks disease :panic:

No good with Mareks disease but at least that is not contagious to humans. No good with a €50 vet :shock: Hope its nothing serious and that she and the others will be fine :fingerscrossed:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:00 pm

Aeseldyr wrote:No good with Mareks disease but at least that is not contagious to humans

It was just something I read that made me :panic: but I don't think it is that, I can't see any of the symptoms of it other than that she is sitting down so :fingerscrossed: it isn't that!

Aeseldyr wrote:No good with a €50 vet :shock:

I actually have no idea how much it is I was just guessing @Aeseldyr - I'll call my friend and find out! I'm not sure if it is true here but apparently in the States a lot of vets don't even deal with chickens :shock: so I'll have to see if my local one does.

So the other thing I'm thinking could be a possibility is dehydration if she is too big to comfortably drink from the nipple waterer anymore (she is the 'big girl' 2 weeks older than the others) and I know they should be higher but I cna't get it higher, we'll look at adapting tomorrow. Yesterday they didn't really go out (maybe less than an hour) to the run where they have a normal water dispenser so if she can't drink much when she is in the coop then that could be a reason ?????

I also went to the garden / animal shop (they sell chickens as well) and got some vitamins to go in their water (although I'm a bit unsure how to make sure they drink it as a lot of it seems to get splashed around :giggle: ). I also looked carefully at the food - bearing in mind I bought the stuff I have (cracked mixed corn / grains etc) ages ago when I was getting some silkie chickens - I saw chick crumbles (which I'd read lots about on line but not seen at the agricultural co-op' where I got the other stuff) so I asked the guy and he said they will be much better with the crumbles for another month or so so I bought a bag of that and have changed them over. She jumped on it and started eating it straight away so that was good. I also go them some grit that is fortified with vitamin pellets too, I'd been giving them coarse sand but perhaps that isnt' enough. I thought if I try to do everything I can to make sure that all the stuff is optimal then I'll at least know that there is nothing I'm missing.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:48 pm

Still no idea what is wrong with her and she is still sitting down :-? Her nails seem very long - maybe they hurt to walk on - are they something that I'm supposed to cut????

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:59 pm

clothmama wrote:Still no idea what is wrong with her and she is still sitting down :-? Her nails seem very long - maybe they hurt to walk on - are they something that I'm supposed to cut????

I don't know. We've never cut any of our chicken's nails.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:16 pm

Thanks Christi, I just looked and they are about the same as the others so I'm guessing it isn't that (grabbing at straws to find what it going on!).

I've just been back out there and she seems a bit brighter :yahoo: - 24 hours after starting on the chick crumbles and all day with only vitamin water (although not really 100% sure how much she has had of the water). She was even stood up when I went in but soon sat back down. I'll just upload some pictures I just took.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:29 pm

Sitting - this is how she has been much of the past 2 days:
Did perk up and stand up to see me!
She got herself to the food but wasn't standing like a normal chook - just sat on her haunches:

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:49 pm

I would take it as a positive that she seems curious when you come and the fact that she does eat. When you look at her legs do they seem normal? Maybe have someone hold one of the others upside down as well so you can compare directly :huh: this is just a chicken-mystery :help:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:35 pm

Aeseldyr wrote:I would take it as a positive that she seems curious when you come and the fact that she does eat.

I agree Marie - and her eyes are lovely and clear and bright too :-?
Aeseldyr wrote:When you look at her legs do they seem normal? Maybe have someone hold one of the others upside down as well so you can compare directly

They do look normal to me but I'm still learning what normal is (so this is such bad timing :giggle: ). Good idea comparing the 2, I did compare Clementines body / breast bone etc earlier and it was all good but didn't do the legs. I'll have a look tomorrow. Not sure if I can convince dh to help me - he hasnt' picked one of them up yet :lookround: :giggle:
Aeseldyr wrote::huh: this is just a chicken-mystery :help:

Absolutely it is - I have also posted on backyardchickens now as they have such a huge community of chicken mad people with a wealth of knowledge and no one there can work it out either! @Aeseldyr

PreviousNext

Return to The Chicken Coop