New coop plans!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

New coop plans!

Postby clothmama » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:02 pm

I'm a huuuuuuggggge believer in everything happens for a reason and I'm so so so thrilled that we never got around to building a chicken coop 2 years ago or what ever it was when I first started wanting to / drawing plans etc! I thought 6 chooks might be nice and planned a very small coop that would have just about been ok for 6 if 2 were silkies as planned! You can read that thread here if you want to see what I mean!
viewtopic.php?f=214&t=123665
I now realise I'll probably want to have about 12 and I have been reading about something called 'chicken maths' where actually your original number is never the number that you end up with / want so I'm trying to actually build a coop that can cope with up to 18 chickens! If I dont' want that many that is fine what I do end up with will have lots of room which is all good (particularly in our hot summers!) but at least I'm leaving myself a choice!

I have a 2 x 2.2 m concrete base to work with which is where I want to build my coop - however based on a 0.4 m / chicken as being a good amount of space this only leaves me with enough space for 11 chickens - hhhmmmmm scared this won't be enough in a years time :lookround: :lookround: so I have been wraking my brains about how to make it bigger! I have been reading much about having a roosting board under your roosting perches that collects all the poo that they do overnight so you cna just clean that up every day or so and the rest of the coop stays quite clean. The concrete base I'm working with is actually quite high of the ground on one side so I have come up with the genius plan to build an extension to the floor area on this side but instead of putting solid flooring putting hardware cloth (the little square stuff that nasty things like rats :cry: :evil: :panic: :puke: can't get through) and placing the roosts directly over this. 2 fold genious - firstly it provides more ventilation (apparently chickens need masses of air to stay healthy) and secondly it further decreases my daily cleaning as instead of me having to clean the 'poop boards' the poop will just fall straight through and I cna have some boards around it so it will almost me like a conpost pit - I can just add clean leaves / grass etc to keep it smelling nice / clean out as needed and only having to go in and clean the actual roosts. I'm thinking this is going to save me sooooo much work and keep the coop much fresher :yahoo:

My original coop was going to be one of those cute up in the air ones with space for them to go under etc but then the more research I've done everyone says 'get one you can walk into' so I guess that is one of the biggest changes that I can walk in easily to clean / catch a chicken / open windows etc. The other thing I have added is a small area that is separated off from the rest for use as a hospital / brooder / new chickens etc which I can do later when I need it but I would never have had space for in my earlier plans!

This is what Iv'e come up with - I'm so excited and dh didn't :panic: when I showed him so feeling good :yahoo: :yahoo:

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: New coop plans!

Postby Aeseldyr » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:32 am

Yep much better with one you can walk into - but for cozytimes and for cleaning :thumbsup: @clothmama
We are building a rabbit-run this spring so the bunnies can have a bit more space and a place where the kids can play with them

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:55 pm

You are so good with your research and planning Tory!!! Impressive!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:30 pm

autumnalgirl wrote:You are so good with your research and planning Tory!!! Impressive!

Not sure about impressive @autumnalgirl - impressively slow to get sorted :hohoho: as I just ended up with enertia with all the stuff to think about :giggle: :giggle: I'm just scared of killing them through ignorance :lookround: or spending heaps of time and money on something that I'll regret (point proven with the coop mark one!). Already I don't really like the tractor that we have built - not sure it is the best use of space really but I'll use it and then sell it on if I really dont' like it or keep it to use around the garden. I don't want to feel the same way a year down the line about a coop :lookround: :oops: as they aren't that cheap really (trying to source best prices for wood) even building ourselves.

Aeseldyr wrote:We are building a rabbit-run this spring so the bunnies can have a bit more space and a place where the kids can play with them

Cute @Aeseldyr look forward to plans and pics! When are you getting some chickens :giggle: :twisted: ???

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:05 pm

No chicks here @clothmama :evil: :hohoho:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:00 pm

Aeseldyr wrote:No chicks here @clothmama :evil: :hohoho:

No, no, no, no you dont' understand you neeeeed some chickens to keep your rabbits company :twisted: :twisted: and think of all the lovely eggs :drool: Go on you know you want to :hohoho: :hohoho:

Return to The Chicken Coop