hf1

Meet the fluff balls!

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Meet the fluff balls!

Postby Allie » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:10 pm

Aww so cute. As for names @clothmama I think they look like a Margaret and a Doris with Margaret being the white one :hohoho:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:23 pm

:hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho: I can't call her Margaret - too many in the family :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho: however I'm going to ponder on Doris I think that may just suit Fluffball 2 :giggle:

What do you think about what I wrote about them health / food / egg laying wise @Allie ? How many eggs did you get week from yours? Did you get her as chick or bigger? Do you know what protein % your feed had (or am I just listenign to too many Americans on BYC??)? :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho:

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Allie » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:32 pm

clothmama wrote::hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho: I can't call her Margaret - too many in the family :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho: however I'm going to ponder on Doris I think that may just suit Fluffball 2 :giggle:

What do you think about what I wrote about them health / food / egg laying wise @Allie ? How many eggs did you get week from yours? Did you get her as chick or bigger? Do you know what protein % your feed had (or am I just listenign to too many Americans on BYC??)? :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho:

@clothmama we got her at point of lay. When she wasn't broody we got between 4 and 5 eggs a week. I never added anything extra or bought special food for her. What about Marjorie instead of Margaret? :hohoho:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:48 pm

Good to know that your eggs matched what I've read and his 2 a week isn't great and I think they could be in better health - I'm convinced the vitamins and possibly food has helped them perk up - they are much less lethargic (although some of that may have been fear I'm pretty sure they were a bit off). I'm not giving them special food just a slightly higher protein that is normally for pre-laying but lots of stuff I've read says to keep them on that for the extra few % of protein and just add the calcium on the side as apparently lots of chooks will lay better on it.

Majorie :hohoho: :hohoho: or Millicent - that suits her actually :hohoho:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:43 pm

OK she has revealed to us that her name is in fact Hermoine :giggle: :giggle: :magical: and the cuckoo is Doris - thanks for the naming help @Allie :giggle:

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:23 pm

Aaawwwwww :love: :love: :love: :love:

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:04 pm

They look amazing!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:05 pm

So I was expecting that we may get an egg after a couple of weeks from what I'd read of chooks being moved so I was so excited this morning to find Hermione sat in the little nesting area (they are in the very little coop with a nesting area where the door opens then a bigger area with a little wall / door in between). A few days ago I put in 2 plaster eggs and she'd been moving the eggs around (actually I just remembered yesterday she'd moved them totally into the next room bit) and fluffing the straw and wood chip. I was a bit sad when I went out later this morning and there was no egg and she was out running about in the run. This evening I went down to lock them up and they had already gone to the coop. Doris was sat on the little block of wood I've put in as a perch in the main living bit and where they have been sleeping for the last maybe 5 nights (they were in the wire covered box the first couple of nights) but Hermione was in the nesting area and had gathered up the plaster eggs and presumably was sitting on them. I'm slightly confused and don't dare to hope but is there a chance that she has decided to go broody at my house after only living here 8 days and not having even laid an egg :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ??? Seriously what other reason is there for sitting on plaster eggs?? If this is the case I have lots of driving in the next 2 days to pick up the eggs I want and then 3 weeks to sort out how to do the logistics of this!!! @Allie you are my broody Silkie only real friend what do you think?

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Allie » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:15 am

clothmama wrote:. I'm slightly confused and don't dare to hope but is there a chance that she has decided to go broody at my house after only living here 8 days and not having even laid an egg :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ??? Seriously what other reason is there for sitting on plaster eggs?? If this is the case I have lots of driving in the next 2 days to pick up the eggs I want and then 3 weeks to sort out how to do the logistics of this!!! @Allie you are my broody Silkie only real friend what do you think?

@clothmama, there's a very good chance that she has gone broody. My silkie seemed to be broody all the time. I'd watch her today and if she hasn't come off the plaster eggs I think she is definitely broody.

PreviousNext

Return to The Chicken Coop