My miracle egg! Broody 3's hatch!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

My miracle egg! Broody 3's hatch!

Postby clothmama » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:08 pm

So I probably mentioned on chat that one of my original 3 girls (the light sussex Mabel) went broody. I was a bit unsure about it as she is sooooo young but she sat on nothing / 1 plaster egg (we broke the other one :doh: ) for a whole week so I got her 12 eggs (a mix of Vorwerks, Black / blue / splash copper Marans, 1 precious Cream Legbar (the guys Legbars stopped laying the week I needed eggs!) and a tiny tiny Pekin bantam).

It has been a comedy of errors with her breaking an egg (I think it was an accident when getting up or settling down) on about day 5 and there was a little tiny chick embryo, me moving them to the incubator in a panic. then I broke one on day 14 - still alive breifly - it just slipped out of my hand. Then I gave them back to her again then she tipped 5 of them out (or possibly me I've discovered when I cover her box with a pallet at night :doh: :cry: :doh: it is tipping up and I could have tipped the pan she is in a bit which means the eggs that fell have no hope (including the Cream Legbar :cry: :cry: ). One of those 5 had a chip in it - luckily no broken membrane so I sealed it with wax (luckily I'd read about this so knew what to do. So the 5 that got tipped out I put in the incubator. A day later I checked and 2 were definitely dead :cry: (so now down to 8!) but couldn't see the others as they are chocolate and blue I am however prepared for the worst.

My remaining concern was the tiny tiny egg as I read that bantams often hatch a day or so before big birds and I feel that as she is so young and inexperianced that it would be too much for her to have a spread out hatch so I decided to bring the tiny one in with the plan to sneak it under her when her others hatch. so yesterday I spotted her off the nest adn went to grab it and check on them and I found a crushed egg :doh: I grabbed both and headed back to the house. I looked carefully at the crushed one and amazingly the membranes were still intact. As it was already day 18 I decided to not bother trying to seal it and just put it in the incubator. Today amazingly J spotted movement - you can see it breathing or heartbeating or something :love: :love: I'm so glad I didn't just get rid of it! Thankfully when I was reading about repairing the other egg I'd spotted similarly destroyed eggs so knew I could have a chance! They are due Saturday so we shall see if it makes it!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: My miracle egg! Broody 3's hatch!

Postby clothmama » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:15 pm

OMG it is cheeping and wriggling :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:02 pm

We have a chick :yahoo: :yahoo: went and ate dinner (fast) and came back to a very wet baby falling about. Will post pic in a bit just need to put Remy down!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:20 pm

Must have just hatched when we got there as it was so wet. Half dried in the pics

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:49 am

Wow! That's amazing! So glad you saved it!!!

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Allie » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:53 am

:love: :love: So cute.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:02 am

And this morning woke up to a 2nd chick, the tiniest little bantam chick :love: :love:

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:11 am

:yahoo: for all the chicks - you'll end up being a big chickenfarmer :giggle:

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:14 pm

What are you going to do if they're all boys?

Next

Return to The Chicken Coop