So upset....Mr Fox came last night :(

My avatar
2climbingboys
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: So upset....Mr Fox came last night :(

Postby 2climbingboys » Tue May 25, 2010 5:17 pm

:hug: :hug: :hug:

We have 2 now and I would be really upset too and we have only had them a few weeks.

My avatar
Fayesmum
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Fayesmum » Tue May 25, 2010 5:31 pm

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Bloody foxes, hate them.... We had chickens when I was living at home and this was a regular occurance no matter what my parents did to keep them safe, they didn't even take them for food :evil:

Sorry you lost your chickens :(

My avatar
peachy.moo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby peachy.moo » Tue May 25, 2010 5:34 pm

Oh i'm so sorry!!! :hug: :hug: :hug:

This is part of why dh won't let me have chooks, get too attached- that & between the fox's & dogs i don't think they'd have much of a chance....

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby e586 » Tue May 25, 2010 5:36 pm

:hug:

My avatar
ramsons
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ramsons » Tue May 25, 2010 7:14 pm

:hug: We lost some over winter/spring. Two the fox killed and two were so badly injured they didn't recover and we had to put them to chicken heaven. So I know how horrible it is :hug: :hug:

My avatar
simlou
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby simlou » Tue May 25, 2010 7:23 pm

Thanks for all your kind posts, please don't let this put you off those that are thinking of getting some, they are totally wonderful little things to have around

ems wrote:oh hunny thats terrible :( I hope you get some more :(

Were they in the eglu? you've got me worried now! Ours use the eglu on a raised bed, think I will go screw it down into the wooden sleepers. Its got bricks round the edge, I thought they were supposed to be fox proof!

Dh forgot to shut it up :cry:, first time in the two years we've had it too. Totally not Dh's fault I forgot to check he'd done it and he'd been distracted by the football. That's what makes it even worse, we could have stoped it happening. Feel like we've completely failed the poor little things.

My avatar
2climbingboys
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby 2climbingboys » Tue May 25, 2010 7:31 pm

simlou wrote:Thanks for all your kind posts, please don't let this put you off those that are thinking of getting some, they are totally wonderful little things to have around

ems wrote:oh hunny thats terrible :( I hope you get some more :(

Were they in the eglu? you've got me worried now! Ours use the eglu on a raised bed, think I will go screw it down into the wooden sleepers. Its got bricks round the edge, I thought they were supposed to be fox proof!

Dh forgot to shut it up :cry:, first time in the two years we've had it too. Totally not Dh's fault I forgot to check he'd done it and he'd been distracted by the football. That's what makes it even worse, we could have stoped it happening. Feel like we've completely failed the poor little things.

oh that is such a shame - you haven't failed them, everyone forgets to do things. It is just really bad luck that the fox chose last night to have a prowl around your garden. :hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
ramsons
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ramsons » Tue May 25, 2010 7:31 pm

simlou wrote:Dh forgot to shut it up :cry:, first time in the two years we've had it too. Totally not Dh's fault I forgot to check he'd done it and he'd been distracted by the football. That's what makes it even worse, we could have stoped it happening. Feel like we've completely failed the poor little things.

Thats what happened to us too. Even if you don't think you have foxes, they are out there and checking for dinner. Trouble is we have found if they have success once you have to be extra careful when you get more chooks again as the fox will come and check every night for you.... :hug:
Don't feel guilty get some rescue hens and try again, whatever you do will be 100% better than them being kept in some horribel battery system fox or not :hug:

My avatar
simlou
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby simlou » Tue May 25, 2010 8:10 pm

ramsons wrote:
simlou wrote:Dh forgot to shut it up :cry:, first time in the two years we've had it too. Totally not Dh's fault I forgot to check he'd done it and he'd been distracted by the football. That's what makes it even worse, we could have stoped it happening. Feel like we've completely failed the poor little things.

Thats what happened to us too. Even if you don't think you have foxes, they are out there and checking for dinner. Trouble is we have found if they have success once you have to be extra careful when you get more chooks again as the fox will come and check every night for you.... :hug:
Don't feel guilty get some rescue hens and try again, whatever you do will be 100% better than them being kept in some horribel battery system fox or not :hug:

can't even think of getting any more at the moment but I know a lovely lady who has ex-batts and she's offered me some to re-home whenever we are ready. Going to give it a few months I think.

PreviousNext

Return to The Chicken Coop