hf1

Chickens

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Chickens

Postby laceybat » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:03 am

Rox wrote:Awwww!! I want a couple of chickens in the back garden but DH says no... we have enough animals lol. In all fairness we do have dog, 4 cats and a toddler ;)

i have a few too. a rabbit , giney pig, lizard, now 6 chickens and getting tow ducks too dp said no and then he told me get them as he wanted them.

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:15 am

ehheehhe we have four chooks here, hope you enjoy them!!!

My avatar
ebonina
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby ebonina » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:17 am

Lucky you! I'd love some chickens.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:20 am

I'd love chickens but we are semi rural and have a good fox population so they would be fox food :(
The kids love it when we go to visit my folks as neighbours have 2 hens and our farm that we get our veg box and eggs from let the kids go collect our eggs when we are up x

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:27 am

we have a fox visit most nights, the other night he poo'ed on the top of the coop, poor chooks. As long as you make it fox proof your fine :)

On the thing about laws about keeping chickens in area, I am in breach of our house covenant which covers most of our village.. no poulty, no goats, blar blar.. but I don't keep poultry :)

I have pet chickens, and under 5 of them with names, which makes them pets.. according to our local council. I did however voluntarily register the chooks with defra so if anyone does come at me, I can say I'm doing everything by the book!
We're now on 4 chooks, 2 rabbits, 2 cats, 1 dog.. and I'm working on my man to let us have another puppy.. as we do both work long hours, Maisy needs a friend :) :giggle:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:34 am

:giggle: that's a bit of a tenuous loophole Ems!! :lol:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:35 am

I thought foxes were very good at getting into things?
Don't think our neighbour would be too impressed looking after chooks as well as the other animals as well lol, perhaps if we ever move and get a bigger garden we can think about it x

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:38 am

i live in a built up area with a school right by my house and i can have up to6 chicken as pet but no more they have a six foot but 5 foot patch in the garden,we have alot of foxes but if they shut up well they are fine

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:40 am

heheheh it is a silly loop hole :giggle: tis like me selling jam at the village store ;) I can, because I'm a paid member of the WI LOL And I sell it to the WI first who in turn sell it to the store ;) No council worker needed to verify my cooking skills LOL

yeah, some neighbours didn't approve, but as they were more than 5 houses away I don't care to much. The chooks and the rabbits are on a concrete base with a raised bed... the coop and the runs are drilled down into the bricks on the raised bed.. nothing can dig in .. or out ;) I have an eglu for the chooks... there are claw marks on it, but is double walled and has a smooth and curbed shape, nothing can gnaw its way through.

PreviousNext

Return to The Chicken Coop