New chickens.

My avatar
charliesam
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: New chickens.

Postby charliesam » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:03 pm

yeah- orpingtons buffs- they are lovely
she has been sitting about 3 weeks give or take a day or two so any time now we may have chicks :-? :-? i am going to need a bigger hen house :eek: :eek: was looking at that eglu but the one i would need is £500 :(

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:03 pm

Asta wrote:aw, I'd love to keep chickens but we worry we'd forget to shut them in/let them out.

Chickens are very easy to keep ;) They put them selves to bed, you only have to lock the door.. and let them out int he morning.. but if they are enclosed in a run, which mine are in the winter, be it half the garden almost LOL... then you can leave it open if the fencing is foxproof :) Very very easy to keep.. make great pets.. in a couple of weeks these new birds will eat out of my hand.. they follow you around getting up to no good.. if your weeding.. they will be at your side like a faithful lab LOL When we go away for the weekend, we fill up the feeders.. the water is on an automatic system.. and as a failsafe I leave a large shallow bucket of water for them.. and thats it!

My avatar
victoriaw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby victoriaw » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:06 pm

ems wrote:
LOL it's mad paying for eggs isn't it!!! OOooo more Orpingtons!

Exactly, I hate buying eggs now! We're ok through summer, even with the occasional broody one (almost permanently broody in the case of our Wheaten Marran), but last winter we did buy a couple of boxes!

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:07 pm

charliesam wrote:yeah- orpingtons buffs- they are lovely
she has been sitting about 3 weeks give or take a day or two so any time now we may have chicks :-? :-? i am going to need a bigger hen house :eek: :eek: was looking at that eglu but the one i would need is £500 :(

Ahh the cube? I have a normal green standard eglu classic.. its a squeeze.. but they all sit on top of each other in the next box at night.. no perches are used LOL they would have a little more room if they spread out a bit!
I did have a play house for the bunny, and a larger traditional coop for the chooks, but we had one horrible infestation of red mite, so I went plastic! I got my eglu on ebay for just over 200 quid including the run, which I obviously then had to enlarge quite a bit! I do think that as standard runs they are quite small. When we get more chooks I'll probably just get another smaller one like the one I've got and they can just end up choosing which house they live in, rather than sell this one and get the cube.

My avatar
moonsunstars2
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby moonsunstars2 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:18 pm

Aw their lovely, We were getting chickens, rescue ones, a school who had chickens ended up with 10 chicks that they hatched - we were going to rehome 2 of them. Turns out tho that another teacher from there took them all home with her so we ended up with none :( now got a pot full of chick feed and grit and no chicks!...... we will get some tho, can't wait when we do.....

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:31 pm

aww pretty chooks.
I would love some but we have foxes near by x

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:29 pm

Awwww reminds me of my childhood when we had chickens. So lovely!

My avatar
Fayesmum
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Fayesmum » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:27 pm

My parents have got chickens... they've just had 4 taken by a fox :x They were getting to the age where they were no longer laying but they were being kept as 'Fayes chickens' (the ones in my avatar pic) cause they were so friendly :( They got 6 at the weekend too, ex batterys so fc when we go next they will be as friendly as 'Fayes chickens' and she won't notice :giggle: except these are white and they were brown :giggle: .

I personally don't like them, they freak me out :oops: It's a childhood thing from having a Bantum flying towards me at eye level when I was 5 and then my Dad shutting me in the pen to try and get me used *shiver*

My avatar
rebellious_ruminator
Clothie
Clothie

Postby rebellious_ruminator » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:58 am

Really beautiful chooks, Im getting so excited at the thought of getting mine.

PreviousNext

Return to The Chicken Coop