hf1

Who keeps chickens?

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Who keeps chickens?

Postby gayleygoo » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:46 pm

I'm making some fleece jumpers for ex-battery hens, for a local rescue charity, and have been asked if we'd consider keeping a few of the rescued hens! We would if we could, but not sure if we have the space or how much work they are. Will they need a run? a house? a perch? Would they mind the fact that our small back garden has only gravel? Are they expensive to keep? I'd love to know your experiences of chickens as pets :D

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: Who keeps chickens?

Postby JabberJabber » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:53 pm

@ramsons ...

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:16 pm

Ali does @scrunchkins but is on her holidays at the moment x

My avatar
clairelou88
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby clairelou88 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:10 pm

we have a farm with chickens, ideally they need grass to scratch around on and obviously eat grass/worms etc! yes you can have chicken just on concreate/gravel surfaces, its just not the best enviroment for them.
yes they'd need a house with a run, a perch is optional. but different objects in the run for them to "perch" on is good for them, keeps them busy.
there not expensive to keep, you can give the your scraps/ bread,corn, some like pecking at fruit and veg.
thy would need some sort of pellets though, which you could buy in bulk.
HTH

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:53 pm

We're thinking about chickens too. I'd be getting ex-batts as there is a chicken factory not far from here.

My avatar
ramsons
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ramsons » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:34 pm

Hi, We've kept chickens for the lasy 7 years. The more space they can have the better. Being blunt some ex battery chickens are in very poor condition, they are not the easiest thing for a beginner to start with.
Personally I wouldn't keep them on gravel, you might be better to keep making the fleece jumpers and support the charity that way instead. They would need a house with run and ideally you want to rotate/move the run about. xxx

My avatar
katyav
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby katyav » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:17 pm

We've been considering having chickens too in our new house cause we'll have a nice gardens... is it true that they wreck the grass though?

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:48 am

The lack of grass would be the biggest issue, as there'd be space for a small house and run, and the garden is entirely fenced in anyway. The woman from the charity who emailed me said stones/paving would be fine, as they've spent their entire lives so far in a mesh cage, but I'd want to give them a lovely home where they could have some grass beneath their feet, and they're not the sort of pets you can just take to the park for a run around :giggle:

katyav wrote:We've been considering having chickens too in our new house cause we'll have a nice gardens... is it true that they wreck the grass though?

Not 100% sure if they damage it themselves, although their poop is very nutritious for the lawn. I'd imagine the coop might damage the grass if it sits there for a long time, iykwim.

It was DH who suggested we might get some, which surprised me as he hates having pets at all. I don't think we're ready for chickens just yet (and it would make me feel so much worse about the one sitting in the fridge right now...) if we ever move house a decent garden will be a top priority and I can go chicken-mad then!

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:10 pm

We'd love chickens too :D once we move and have space we'll definitely be having some.

Next

Return to The Chicken Coop