hf1

What have I done?

My avatar
mrstigger1983
Clothie
Clothie

What have I done?

Postby mrstigger1983 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:00 pm

Hello again. Sorry I keep posting the odd thread but commenting on none. I am actually very noisy, just need warming up lol. :D

Imogen (my 4 month old dd), has just started leaking through her nappies. Not just wicking around the edges, but the whole of the bottom of her vest/tights are soaked. First I assumed that it was my cheaper minkys that couldn't cope anymore. But my Ittis, and even my tots bots have struggled.

I have changed a few things in the past few weeks - use Bold instead of ecover non bio, have started line drying instead of tumble drying, and prewashing before washing. I've stuck them in a hot wash with no detergent to see if it helps, but just wondered if anyone else had any ideas what the problem might be just in case that's no good.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: What have I done?

Postby Kirstyh » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:05 pm

Could it just be that she is power peeing just now and flooding her nappies? Itti's aren't the best for a heavy ish wetter x

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:16 pm

My dd was a heavy wetter and I had to boost ittis, but could get 3+ hrs out of them. How long is she going?

Also, it could still be wicking causing this, as it'd wick and spread to soak the area you describe. How is the fit on her?

My avatar
teganplus2
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby teganplus2 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:20 pm

It could be the pressure caused by the tights/vests rather than the actual nappies

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:22 pm

I don't think any of the things you have changed would be the reason for the leaks.

Are the inserts saturated when you take the nappy off? If so then you need to add boosting or change what you are stuffing the pockets with. If not it could be a fit issue. Are her clothes tight over the nappy? They could be causing compression wicking.
How long have you had the nappies for and what is your usual washing routine? Detergent build-up can affect absorbency which will also lead to leaks.

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:24 pm

teganplus2 wrote:It could be the pressure caused by the tights/vests rather than the actual nappies

Just what I was going to say. Maybe next size upon vests and tights and a bit more boosting in the nappies.

My avatar
mrstigger1983
Clothie
Clothie

Postby mrstigger1983 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:18 pm

Yeah its possible. I'm just moving her into age 6-9 month clothes :-( but her vests are still age 3-6 month. The nappies themselves dont feel massively wet, although I'll freely admit I'm not great at telling. Just noticed I'm having to change her vests at least once a day cos they are wet through all over as compared to before when I would just find the edges wet if I left it too long.
Before she would go about 2-3 hours between changes in the day and 12 hours at night no problems. Could she just suddenly start power weeing even though she wasn't too bad before? Does this mean i need a whole new nappy stash? (Yay for shopping, but boo for the bank balance!)

Glad to here its not the washing. I have noticed lots of you use bold so I was confused as to why it would stuff up my cloth but not yours.

My avatar
Jellybelly6
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Jellybelly6 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:24 pm

I wouldn't have thought it is anything you have done. My youngest started having nappy disasters at exactly the same age. They have a huge growth spurt and he turned into a mega milk monster for a few months. I had to ditch all the microfibre inserts and stick with bamboo and hemp. That solved most of the leaks although I just can't get Itti's to work for us. Oh yes and Little Lamb bamboo boosters are brilliant and don't break the bank :thumbsup:

My avatar
weebee
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby weebee » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:31 pm

you could just buy vest extenders if the vests themselves still fit :-) that would loosen them round the bum with minimal expense.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat