hf1

Pre fold v fitted? What's best for newborn and beyond?

My avatar
K3lly1985
Clothie
Clothie

Pre fold v fitted? What's best for newborn and beyond?

Postby K3lly1985 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:43 pm

Hi.
I'm new to cloth and just want to know what your thoughts are.
I'm due may, so getting my stash together now! :pregnant:
So far I have 8 tots bots bamboozles and 3 wraps. I'm also going to get some bambio mio prefold newborn nappies, and wraps. I think 23 nappies and 4 wraps (size 1)

I'm thinking of using the prefolds at home and the fitted when I go out. But what do u think I should have more of? Fitter or pre folds? Are prefolds loads more work? I know once baby gets bigger and wriggles more fitted easier, but for a newborn upto about 6 months old what would u suggest?

I'm guessing the prefolds I can wash with my fitted? And from what I've read as long as I use the right fold (having a boy) they should be as reliable as a fitted?

Also what boosters shall I use? Obviously my tots bots have the booster, but for the prefolds do u think I should get some? And use liners? As my baby going to be Breast fed not sure liners would do much good???

Thanks in advance for all ur help and I hope I've not gone on too much? :oops:

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Pre fold v fitter? What's best for newborn and beyond?

Postby Bugglyboo » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:13 pm

I love prefolds and found them really useful when Eddie was teething and had really awful poo. I would suggest getting a few more fitteds as my hubby will not under any circumstances use prefolds :giggle:
I use a nippa with our prefolds so that I can use wool over the top.
You can also get bamboo prefolds and prefolds with stay dry layers. I think Owe Woah When do scrumptious prefolds.
If you don't want to go for the more absorbant prefolds then you can always boost between the prefolds and the wrap. Little lamb boosters are highly recommended.
I hope that helps.
P.s. bambino mio wraps aren't rated highly so it may be worth looking at something different. I itself Thirsties duo and wool soakers and longies.

My avatar
Vanilla
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Vanilla » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:51 pm

Congrats on your imminent bundle! I also feel a bit new to cloth even though I used it part-time 8 years ago, but now there's so many different styles & brands of cloth out there it can be very confusing.

I used a few prefolds on my son years ago (along with terry squares & a few fitteds), not from newborn though but found them pretty reliable. I didn't often need to use boosters in the day but my SIL said she needed to use boosters from the start with her 2nd baby (think she only uses fitteds), I think it just depends on the individual child and how heavily they will wee! You will always use boosters at some point though, even if only at night-time, so probably worth getting some.

I found prefolds not so good for grandparents & babysitters to get the hang of though, so I 2nd Bugglyboos recommendation of having fitteds for other people who might find anything else confusing! Is there any particular reason why you want to use bambino mio prefolds though? As I think they are rather expensive if not on sale, I've no idea if they're better than other brands but Junior joy for example are much cheaper. You can get bambino mio cheap on sale/clearance offers though, I found some very cheaply in a babies 'r 'us. And there is lots brand new on ebay that people seem to have bought & never got round to using!

You've probably thought of this but just in case - do check if your local council offer a free trial pack of real nappies! For example mine gives a free pack of prefolds, 2 wraps & a fitted or AIO nappy. Which is where I got my prefolds last time! :) Shame I didn't find out about the scheme until DS was about 8 months though, as I'd wanted to use cloth much earlier. Will be using it from birth this time (due April.)

My avatar
Summertime
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Summertime » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:43 pm

Hi,

If you are looking to save money, I would recommend Birth to Potty nappies, such as Motherease BTP or OneLife BTP (would prefer ME out of the two though). This way you only buy once (nappies, not covers which come in diff sizes) and can use them on a newborn as well as on a toddler. This is what i would do now! But unfortunately I had to go though trial and error while looking for that elusive right nappy.

Started with terries (and nappy nippa) as the cheapest and having never used cloth, did not want to spend too much in case i do not like it. Took a few weeks to learn to fold terries so they do not leak. Had lots of leaks to start with, but now don't get many at all (with my second!) So if you know what you are doing, terries are OK, they dry very quickly even indoors and can be folded in a variety of ways to suit a growing baby. After the baby gets more mobile though, terries become less ideal as they will work slightly loose with all the movement. Of couse you do not have that problem with fitteds like ME.

Prefolds and pocket nappies like Bum Genius or Bambino Mio did not work for us, they turned out to be the worst for leaks. Nearly every time baby did No 2, i had to change the whole outfit as the nappy leaked at the leg opening. And typically, the cover got soiled every time the nappy did which was very annoying as i kept running out of covers. Again did not have that problem with ME. Even if the nappy is soiled, the cover is nearly always all right. On balance, my SIL likes pockets for their slim fit and swears by them. She has got a baby girl though.

So i guess the foolproof nappy is BTP ME, it works 10 out of 10. IMO the only downside of ME is the drying time - a day on the line in the summer or radiators it will have to be in the winter.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat