hf1

Chafing on Thigh

My avatar
harrison3
Clothie
Clothie

Chafing on Thigh

Postby harrison3 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:18 pm

Hello there my first post as I just found this website and love it already :wave: My dd is nearly 11 months and is 23 lbs and wears WNNN for bed with either wool of fleece and just recently within the past 2 weeks she has had some horrible red chafing on her thighs. We do nappy free time as much as possible and use cj's like it's going out of style but nothing seems to be working. Her nappies during the day are fine (mostly ittis) and I feel like we have tried everything and nothing will work. So any suggestions or ideas please share as her poor little thighs are quite red and sore and I really REALLY don't want to have to use sposies at night. Thanks xx :bw:

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Chafing on Thigh

Postby justme123 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:40 pm

Dd gets this more with day nappies but it seems to be where fitteds get wet and rub. You could try boosting more so that it doesn't get so wet, or maybe putting a fleece liner sideways so none of the nappy is touching around the thighs? Also maybe a barrier like Vaseline before she goes to bed might help protect it a bit?

Hope you find something to work for you :hug:

My avatar
winniewheresmypooh
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby winniewheresmypooh » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:04 pm

justme123 wrote:Dd gets this more with day nappies but it seems to be where fitteds get wet and rub. You could try boosting more so that it doesn't get so wet, or maybe putting a fleece liner sideways so none of the nappy is touching around the thighs? Also maybe a barrier like Vaseline before she goes to bed might help protect it a bit?

Hope you find something to work for you :hug:

Agree with this. Lucas used to get sore on his thighs too. PUL seemed to help to stop the wet getting on his thighs. Do you use wool longies or do you use a soaker. A soaker might help as it is more fitted around the thigh and might stop contact from the nappy so much?

Oh and welcome to the tree :cnthug:

My avatar
harrison3
Clothie
Clothie

Postby harrison3 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:19 pm

It's a soaker and I try to kinda tuck it in so the nappy itself isn't against her skin but she moves so much while she sleeps it's useless. I may try the fleece liner sideways but we don't have any so I'll have to get some. Do you think a disposable liner would work the same?

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby justme123 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:29 pm

Can't hurt to try a disposable liner - anything to keep the wet nappy away from his skin :-)

My avatar
Rebeccar75
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Rebeccar75 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:36 pm

Hi, I put a post up last week asking for advice as my son had chafing on his thigh and blisters and lots of nasties on his bits. After a few days in dispoables it cleared up. I think that I wasn't boosting enough at night so that may be the same for you...

Rebecca x

My avatar
shoogah01
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby shoogah01 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:40 pm

Aimie used to get this, we ended up using metanium and looser woolies to clear it up, if you are using soakers you could try longies for a while

ETA, we also had to stop using polyester over night so no nappies with minky, fleece or PUL and no fleece soakers or longies. We got the same from serged nappies too. DD has very sensitive skin :giggle:

My avatar
weebee
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby weebee » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:50 pm

It's worth also considering if there could be a detergent build up around the rim of the nappies themselves. When my son got chafing it was because of detergent build up in the PUL wraps we were using- since using woolies it has disappeared. I know that nappies can get build up to, and not necessarily in a way that affects absorbency as it could just be round the rim of the legs. A strip was never goes a miss! It does sound like a possible boosting or nappy fit issue though. I hope that you find a solution!

My avatar
csbochan
Clothie
Clothie

Postby csbochan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:59 pm

I'm a cheater and use sposies at night, but have had lots of experience of sensitive skin with my daughter in her daytime cloth - not chafing per se, but you only have to whisper the word "rash" and she comes up like a lobster! Metanium is good to get it healed, but I also found Morhulin good when it was red and angry-looking (contains cod liver oil), and when all else failed (which happens still, now and then, or when teething rash attacks) Daktacort for a day or 2, sparingly, gives it a chance to heal quickly. It's available over the counter as well as on prescription - we first had it on prescription when nothing else would work. It's a steroid cream, so not ideal, but I'd rather use this infrequently than have her suffer with angry red, raised welts on her bum that won't clear for weeks.
Once her skin's good again I use Metanium everyday cream, or vaseline as a barrier, day and night, every nappy change....works well for us. The Metanium everyday is fab! :hug:

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat