hf1

Help new to cloth!

My avatar
danietav
Clothie
Clothie

Help new to cloth!

Postby danietav » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:06 pm

Have got some tots bots fluffles and motherease wraps always rinse and use very little powder nothing else. All other nappies fuzzis and itti bitti are fine, but tots bots and motherease wraps are smelly even after being washed is there anything I can do, have tried a little vinegar hasn't worked ????

My avatar
little1
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Help new to cloth!

Postby little1 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:22 pm

might be that you need to use more powder, how much to use depends on how hard your water is. Also might be worth strip washing them using a dishwasher tablet apparently that can help.

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:53 pm

Can you tell us a bit more about how they smell and your washing routine? Are you doing a cold rinse before a hot wash with powder followed by a further cold rinse? If you go straight into a hot wash you can 'set' smells into your nappies. And as previous poster said, if you have hard water you might need to use more powder to get your nappies clean. If they have a farmyard smell coming out of the machine then they are simply not getting clean enough in which case you need to wash with more powder. Or do they smell of wee/have an amonia smell as sooon as LO wees? If it's the latter, they probably need a strip wash to get rid of detergent build up.

Synthetic materials also tend to hang on to smells more than natural materials whch could be why it's your fluffles and PUL wraps that are the problem.

Useful chart on getting to the bottom of smelly nappies (sorry for the pun :giggle: ) here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=106234&p=1111151&hilit=lingering#p1111151

Good luck!

My avatar
emmab16
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby emmab16 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:28 am

:wave:

I dry pail, use 1/3 of normal powder, wash on 60 cotton wash (if they're poo-y) otherwsie on a 40 cotton wash

Always been fine. I have never done any strip washes or extra rinses with mine, but do read the list ^^^^ so you can discount what things will/ won't work

xx

My avatar
danietav
Clothie
Clothie

Postby danietav » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:09 am

They smell of ammonia as soon as she has wee'd in them, we r in a sort water area and I have decreased my washing powder as think I was using to much. How do I go about strip washing them ? I wash every other day and dry pale them I also cold rinse then warm wash then cold rinse ?? Thanks for all you advice x :-)

My avatar
little1
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby little1 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:24 pm

lots of advice here viewforum.php?f=19

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat