hf1

WWYD? Night training cloth question.

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

WWYD? Night training cloth question.

Postby Miss_Purple » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:26 am

DD has been out of daytime nappies for over a year now, but only reliably dry for about a month or so. (she's 3 next week).

She is still in nappies at night, and although she keeps asking not to wear one, and they are getting drier, she is still wet at night, and doesn't even wake up when she wets. she doesn't nap often, but if she does she is dry.

she is big (2st 10lb) and tall- she's in age 4-5 clothes, so her large night nappies are getting very tight. She has two junior bedbugs which fit well.

I wanted to get her some cloth pull-ups so she could go to the toilet herself if she wanted (as she can't undo her wool covers/nappies herself) but I can't find anything suitable except on Etsy which means importing from the US and at least a 3 week wait.

MIL bought some disposable pyjama pants yesterday so as soon as DD saw them she wanted to wear them (darn butterfly/star patterns :roll:).

They are just over £3 for 10, so I'm torn with what to do. Do I sell her night-time cloth and wool and move to pyjama pants which she seems happy in, but risk that it could be months or even years before she is dry at night, or do I stick with nappies, invest in some more junior sizes and wool but realise they may not be used for long, or do I bite the bullet and order the cloth-pull ups (which will cost approx the same as 6 months worth of disposable ones)?

She has been in cloth since 10 days old and I really hate sposies, but I am trying to be sensible and make the decision which will be easiest for everyone.

Help!

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: WWYD? Night training cloth question.

Postby Mareth » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:31 am

I'd bite the bullet and try her with nothing. Rhys was a year older when he trained (just before 3rd birthday for daytime, and 4th birthday for night), but we just decided to go for it. Up until his 4th birthday it wasn't possible as he had to wear a foot brace at night, so couldn't get up and about to go to the toilet, but once that came off, and we bought him a new big boy bed to celebrate, it was all go. Other than when he was ill, I don't think we've had a single night time accident.

I don't think pull ups do any good at all, personally. I know a 7yo (with no conditions that would cause very late training) who still wears pull ups at night, and wets them too AFAIK. I don't think they serve any good purpose at all.

ETA: get a waterproof undersheet for the bed, and be prepared for a couple of nights with problems, but hopefully she'll get it quickly enough.

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:40 am

Thanks Mareth, we have tried her with nothing at all several times, but although she gets up at about 9pm to go and holds it in the morning she still wets in the night. We have a waterproof sheet on the bed, and 3 weenotions fleece pad things, but she moves around so much I have had to strip the whole bed each time. When I check on her when she's not wearing anything she's normally fast asleep in soaking wet pjs so I have to change her and everything else at least twice in the night :-(

Without a tumble dryer we can't do that every night.

I agree about the pull-ups tbh, the only reason I am really considering them is because her night nappies and wool are getting small so I need to do something soon

I chatted with her last night about how she should try not to wee in her new 'big girl pants' and she understood, but then this morning I asked her and she said 'I weed in my big girl pants' and didn't seem bothered in the slightest.

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:44 am

Does she wear knickers in bed? Have you tried her with nothing under her nightie at all? Is it possible the knickers are confusing her when in a half-sleep state, and she thinks it's a nappy?

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:44 am

I don't actually believe you can "train" them at night, as it depends if they wake up when they get the urge. Some kids will wet when they wake if they have a pull up on tho.

I'd go the disposable route to be honest but then we always used sposies at night. Cost of the cloth pull ups would put me off. We used pull ups at night for a good while on Martha but only because she wasn't confident - after a while I used to put her on an old Fuzzi with just one booster in it, wouldn't have been any use if she did wet but it gave her a sense of security and saved us a fortuen in pull ups!

My avatar
evansmummy
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby evansmummy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:49 am

I don't think you can do anything to make her train at night. I'd go the pull up route if it where me, my older two had pull ups and night trained at three, Evan was dry at night by two and he always had a sposies for nights x

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:53 am

I agree with the other ladies, i dont think you can do anything, just wait for her to be dry for a good week or so then give it a go so in the mean time keep on with the nappies.

With the nappy thing, assuming she isnt bursting out of her nappies right now why not put up a wanted ad for some larger nappies, there are def some floating around, you may get lucky and if not then the disp route. The only thing (other than disp) is that it will keep her dry so she wont get the wet sensation but im not sure how helpful that is in night training anyway as its not really about 'being aware' its simply down to bladder control which is a developmental thing.

:hug:

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:55 am

I would either try nothing or go with cloth training pants without a stay dry layer. Disposable pull ups will keep her dry so she won't realise she's wet.

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:55 am

No, I agree you can't really 'night train' as such, I was just using day nappies but even those are getting too small now :-(

@Mareth, yes, we've tried her totally naked a few times (she doesn't really like pyjamas) but still the same problem.

I have tried waking her for a wee about 10.30 ish too, but she still wets in the night and sometimes before then too. She just doesn't wake when she needs to go, so she needs to be wearing something, I guess I'm just feeling guilty and sad about using disposables after 3 years of cloth bumming :-(

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat