hf1

How 'bad' are disps really?

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

How 'bad' are disps really?

Postby BingBongBoo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:04 pm

I was talking to some disp using friends and we were having a discussion about disps v cloth. I stated that a major factor for me in using cloth was concern about the chemical gels used in disposible nappies. In fact, we switched to cloth in the first place because DD1 suffered a horrendus (think chemical burns) reaction to one particular brand of disposible nappy. Basically, they were rather dismissive of this concern, arguing that gels and other things in disps are surely subject to government legislation and therefore 'must' be safe. Are they right? Can anyone point me in the direction of any info/research on this issue?

TIA.

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: How 'bad' are disps really?

Postby Bluebell » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:13 pm

I know someone who works for P&G and she told me that in the factories where they make Pampers, the staff have to wear masks because of the chemicals that goes into them.

As for government legislation saying they are safe... well we are all allowed to smoke, drive, drink (not at the same time!), cross a road etc... paracetamol is banned in the US...

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:37 am

Parabens are allowed in toiletries and they are proven carcenagenics ;)
Sodium Polyacralyte – A super absorber used inside the nappy to suck moisture away from the inner of the nappy and retain it. Very drying so may cause skin irritation. In the past it has been linked to toxic shock syndrome and was banned from women’s sanitary products years ago. Extremely difficult to break down on soil and may take at least 100 years.

http://www.screaminggreen.co.uk/Advice/Chemicals/

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:17 pm

my son also got chemical burns for disp's and he has allircie reaction to most brands all by boots natrual brand one's but he only wear them at nioght with lots of bum cream.

bean's in colth from day one if he stay's put for a little longer DP even asked how to wash them as he was not really in to them till now :yahoo:

i hope you find the link's usefull as i wouldn't want any of that near my babys bum.

My avatar
katherineeah1
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby katherineeah1 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:18 pm

Recently in the news there was a massive explosion in a factory in Asia that is responsible for most of the acrylic in the world's disposable nappies. That might be a good source of info for chemicals as if you think about it, disposables are just paper really, so they do need a LOT more chemicals than cloth and I don't know about you, but I can't say I've ever read the "ingredients" on a packet. Plus even if I did, I wouldn't understand it.

My avatar
katherineeah1
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby katherineeah1 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:20 pm

red_dwarf wrote:Parabens are allowed in toiletries and they are proven carcenagenics ;)
Sodium Polyacralyte – A super absorber used inside the nappy to suck moisture away from the inner of the nappy and retain it. Very drying so may cause skin irritation. In the past it has been linked to toxic shock syndrome and was banned from women’s sanitary products years ago. Extremely difficult to break down on soil and may take at least 100 years.

I'm actually really shocked by that. If it's banned for us grown women whose skin has matured, why are we exposing our babies' immature, porous skin to that??

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:30 pm

katherineeah1 wrote:
red_dwarf wrote:Parabens are allowed in toiletries and they are proven carcenagenics ;)

I'm actually really shocked by that. If it's banned for us grown women whose skin has matured, why are we exposing our babies' immature, porous skin to that??

Because it cant cause toxic shock and kill babies therefore obviously its safe *sigh* this is one of the reasons I use cloth and only use natural toiletries. I dont want all these chemicals on my, let alone my LO's skin!

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:21 pm

@Bluebell -paracetamol is not banned in the US at all it's called acetaminophen or Tylenol

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:25 pm

katherineeah1 wrote:I don't know about you, but I can't say I've ever read the "ingredients" on a packet. Plus even if I did, I wouldn't understand it.

Interestingly I looked to try and find the ' ingredients' on a pack of sposies ages ago as I want to compare them with the ' Eco' sposies and the big brand names didn t list any ingredients on the packet :/

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat