hf1

How do I strip our nappies?

My avatar
swordfish
Clothie
Clothie

How do I strip our nappies?

Postby swordfish » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:17 pm

I'm new here so apologies if this is in the wrong place. I think that I need to strip our nappies but I don't know how to do this. We use TB easyfits by day and bamboozles by night, with bamboo boosters, we're getting leakage very quickly, sometimes after just an hour. We've had to use quite a lot of nappy cream recently as DD has had a very raw bottom and I wonder if that has reduced absorbancy? How do I strip our nappies and boosters?

My avatar
mollycoddles
Clothie
Clothie

Re: How do I strip our nappies?

Postby mollycoddles » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:27 pm

What nappy cream have you been using? If you use a zinc based cream it can damage your nappies as I understand... so things like metanium etc.
Ladies can you use disposable liners with metanium or zinc based creams? I never have - I've found calendula from Weleda really good. We have had a few occasions (fortunatley not many) when LO was teething that we had to use disposables because he needed metanium.
Interesting because we also had issues with nappies that weren't absorbing... then at baby show I spoke the woman from Bum Genius about the fact our tots bots were no longer... she suggested I was overboosting and suggested strip washing... haven't looked back it's been amazing!
The advice was any boosters etc that didn't have a waterproof PUL lining could be washed with a dishwasher tablet as this would strip all the powder out of the nappies. Unfortunatley the easy fits like most all in ones couldn't be washed in this load... so I just washed them a few times with no powder. She said wash, rinse, wash, rinse etc until you can't smell anything (it just takes a few more washes than if you use the dishwasher tablet). Apparently if nappies smell nice and fresh they have too much powder, if they smell of amonia (as mine were starting too) you have had the problem for a while and the wee smell is sticking to the powder in the nappies.
Nowdays I tend to do a rinse cylce with powder and then a mini 40 wash with no powder. My nappies rarely come out with any smell but once every 3 months I do a full strip wash of every booster, or nappy inner that I can. I then also take advantage of a less environment moment and fluff them up with the tumble drier.

The tot's bots (I have easy fits) just get an extra powder free wash every now and then.

Hope that's helpful... just don't use the dishwasher tablet with anything that has a waterproof layer as they have bleach which damages the waterproof layer and would leave your nappies useless! Apparently the newer bum genius nappies have a waterproof layer that withstands this... but I can't see why you would need to strip wash the waterproof layer (unless it's part of an all in one perhaps).

Good luck! Let me know if your nappies come out any better.

My avatar
mollycoddles
Clothie
Clothie

Postby mollycoddles » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:28 pm

@swordfish sorry should have tagged you in above post so you know you have a response. :doh:
:giggle:

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:13 pm

There's a couple of stickies at the top of the washing cloth nappies section with all the stripping info in. Hereand Here

My avatar
swordfish
Clothie
Clothie

Postby swordfish » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:22 am

Thank you, need to work out how to set things up so that I get notified automatically of responses!

Many thanks for the advice, I will try stripping and see how we get on, I do wonder if maybe they just aren't the right shape for DD though as I know I few people have this problem. We've been using sudocrem, will maybe switch to disposables while using the cream and use the time to strip the nappies and then switch back when her bottom is better.

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:52 am

I used fleece liners with creams and the nappies were fine.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat