Bumgenius leaking.help!

My avatar
Jane
Clothie
Clothie

Bumgenius leaking.help!

Postby Jane » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:26 am

Hi everyone,
I invested in bum genius on the recommendation of dear friends and the seemingly flawless reviews of the bum genius 4.0. I have about 1/3 new, 2/3 second hand off eBay, and a mixture of poppers and Velcro. And they ALL LEAK. To the point that I am thisclose to selling off every last one and going to disposables. The amount of time I will save and a good night's sleep are both increasingly appealing arguments! They leak around the legs, they leak out the top, they leak up the back, they leak thru the tabs...just about everywhere possible they leak, not all at once but rarely at a nappy change do I not have to change all of his clothes, blankets, bedding. So annoyed because I really wanted to use cloth but it just doesn't seem worthwhile anymore, spending hours on laundry and stuffing diapers only to have more laundry bc those diapers don't work! Grrrr.....
Any advice would be welcome...

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Bumgenius leaking.help!

Postby confusinglady » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:42 am

Do you just have the microfibre inserts? Mine would never have lasted one wee with those inserts, some kids do but some kids wee lots :)
It sounds like they re getting saturated and then the wee is squeezing back out or wicking onto clothes/ bedding.
It also may depend how long you leave between changes, most cloth needs to be changed every 2-3 hours.
I ve used BG s successfully with the addition of a bamboo/ hemp booster in underneath the large microfibre booster. I would have to change every 2- 2 1/2 hours. I would also push the inserts away from the edge of the leg holes / crotch after putting the nappy on to avoid wicking.
Hope that helps!

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:46 am

Pockets will only last 1-2 hrs with us too. What inserts are you using? We rarely us bg's now, fitteds are much more reliable. Defiantly wouldn't use bg's at night.

Inserts and clothing can make a difference, so give e us some more info! You could always sell them and try a difference type, most laden on here use a few different types at different stages of life and times of day xx

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:25 pm

I agree with the others, not a chance the BG would be any good with just the mf insert here if that's all you are using. How often are you changing the nappies? How tight is the clothing over the top of the nappies? If its tight fitting then that could be causing compression leaking. You mentioned a good night's sleep, are you using them at night? We would never be able to use them at night as they just aren't absorbent enough even with added boosting. The only pocket we can use successfully at night is a fleece outer Nappies by Minki pocket. We use fitted night nappies and wool at night here mainly though.

My avatar
smaths
Clothie
Clothie

Postby smaths » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:44 pm

Are the inserts completely sodden when the nappies leak? If not, you may have an issue with the inserts or the fleece of the pocket becomig water repellent instead of absorbent. If this is the case you should see an improvement by strip washing them thoroughly. If the inserts are soaked, then you may need to upgrade to more absorbent inserts, I use cotton prefolds and a little lamb booster in mine and they last around 3 hours. If they are leaking through stitching and seams, try tumble drying the covers for a short while (20mins?) I believe that is supposed to help re seal the pul

My avatar
Jane
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Jane » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:46 pm

Hi All,
Thanks for the replies! I was so frustrated bc it seemed like I had a lot if different problems going on, and as soon as i thought i fixed one something else would crop up. Seems like the diapers aren't all exactly the same size so some of them I needed to make the middle size whereas some are ok left in the smallest. I agree I also probably left them too long before a change on occasion...although, last night he slept for 5 hours (he's 9wks now so I feed him again at midnight) and having him in just a fleece footed onesie without anything underneath worked better since it doesn't absorb.
I did notice on one earlier today that around the legs the colored fabric was wet...is that what you mean by wicking or is that the PUL needing to be resealed? We don't have a drier but if hanging them on a radiator isn't going to do the trick I could take them to laundromat. im just using the inserts that came with the dipes now. i tried to put the newborn one in as well as a doubler but that was a total fail bc it was too bulky for the leg holes to fit around his legs anymore. Guess that might change when he gets bigger? But then he's peeing more so I'm still bang out of luck? Oh cloth...in theory, you are beautiful, in reality, well...jury's still out for me!! That said, I made the investment and am pretty determined to make it work!!

My avatar
Jellybelly6
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Jellybelly6 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:51 pm

I used mostly pockets and that included Bumgenius but honestly didn't get on with any microfibre inserts. I found once I ditched the microfibre and went for hemp and bamboo inserts (not just boosters but inserts) ALL my leaking problems stopped. I had BF poo leaking out the stitching, leaks at the legs, leaks out the front etc etc until I got the inserts right. Overnight I need a bamboo fitted and then I need to mega boost it or use a special night nappy. I think all my pockets had more boosting than they came with originally but leaks were rare and mostly due to me leaving the nappy just a bit too long by mistake. (We have just day time potty trained hence the past tense). Even though I had to buy inserts separately I have still saved money and the inserts can be sold separately once you have finished with them.

My avatar
Slebro
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Slebro » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:40 pm

I remember how you're feeling so well! And it was with BGs too, nothing seemed absorbant enough and then they gaped around my chunky ds's legs if I stuffed more into them... If you have any spare flannels / face cloths and some muslins, why not try using them and see if it's any better than the microfibre inserts the nappies came with? My ds is nearly 2 now, and I can get away with putting a BG stuffed with a flannel folded into thirds and a couple of Little lamb bamboo boosters and it'll last a couple of hours (I'd trust a fresh one through a nap), or sometimes use a folded muslin and a couple of flannels if there's nothing else washed / dry yet. Hope you find a combination that works for you but doesn't cost loads more!

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:55 pm

Buy some little lamb bamboo boosters, defiantly made a difference to our bgs!

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat