hf1

The problem with baked beans….

My avatar
hob029
Clothie
Clothie

The problem with baked beans….

Postby hob029 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:57 pm

Baked beans or curry I can’t remember which.
Yesterday I was doing a light wash just a bunch of cotton t-shirts. Found a t-shirt wore on Boxing Day it has a stain. I'm sure I have washed it at least 4 times but it’s still stained.
Makes me wonder if my washing machine will be able to cope with cloth nappys. Maybe I'm just using the wrong powder…
I know you can get the sun to bleach out some stains but I live up north. We don’t have sun. or at least if we do I don’t remember when I last saw it (1986?)
What do you think is there a powder that will boost my washing machine so I can do cloth when baby comes along?

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: The problem with baked beans….

Postby JabberJabber » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:11 pm

Hi and welcome to the Tree! I live in the NW and just hanging out nappies in daylight helps, although bright sunshine is even better.

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:06 pm

I find this happens unless you wash immediately. Rubbing on some neat washing up lqd before putting in the machine helps . Sunlight works wonders unless they are very old stains

My avatar
hob029
Clothie
Clothie

Postby hob029 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:23 pm

I really wanna cloth nappy but I don’t think washing immediately while a option. I mean what if we are out or I don’t have enough for a full wash I don’t just want to wash one nappy at a time……
Do you guys think paper liners would help? Or can u use vanish with nappys? I keep hearing people say use nappy safe detergent but what’s safe what’s not?

Jabber I lived in Manchester when I was a student I think NW gets more sun then NE….. or I might just be saying that coz we have had a very dark couple of weeks and I'm in a mood with Newcastle.
:( :waiting:

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:52 pm

I ve used cloth on both of mine and to be honest I just expect them to pick up stains, but I don t use 'pretties' so I m not too worried.
I found fleece liners are better than paper liners but BF poo goes through as its just liquid. Both mine didn t have the best solid weaned ooo either so some would go through.
The key thing I found was not necessarily washing straight away but trying to make sure they get sunlight the first wash iyswim?
Hth

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:53 pm

P.s I find the tomato type stains on clothes more annoying :giggle:

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:39 pm

I can honestly say tomato/curry based stains on clothes is harder to get out than poop stains.

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:59 pm

Banana stains are THE worst on clothes.......... they stain permanently with dark black marks!

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:35 pm

It might seem odd, but my mum swears by this solution for both grease stains and things like tomato stains and I've used it successfully on curry stains in DH's shirts...

Just before washing as normal, spray the stain thoroughly with a general purpose kitchen surface spray. Apparently it breaks down grease etc far more effectively that a washing spray. I wouldn't do it on a delicate or non- colourfast fabric and on children's clothes I would def do a long wash cycle with extra rinses to make sure the detergent was gone. I'd also not do this if the wearer of the item had sensitive skin!

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat