hf1

Aaghh leaks leaks leaks. fitteds advice please!

My avatar
Slebro
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Aaghh leaks leaks leaks. fitteds advice please!

Postby Slebro » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:10 pm

DS has had such leaky nappies today :evil: I knew a tutto wouldn't last long this morning, but it didn't even last 1.5 hrs and was totally drenched and leaking through the leg holes.... Then a BG leaked at the waist, well, erm, this one is my fault because I somehow folded his willy up on itself (you'd think it'd be ow but apparently not :-? :giggle: ) so that was a Mummy made disaster. The tuttos may need to be retired to wait for dc2 as they just don't have enough room to make them absorbent enough :(

So please advise me! Both DH and I are tending to reach for bamboozles but even these are only lasting 2 or 3 hours on a normal day. And we only have 6. I'd love a nappy to normally last for 4 hours! What can I get, hopefully cheaply in RNW as I am totally skint, that will last longer than a bamboozle?

Would toddler sized terries be as absorbent as a fitted? We've only got Boots own cotton terries and we tend to pad fold them in a Blueberry wrap as they don't fit him as nappies any more. If I got proper (and bigger) terries, I'm guessing they'd hold more and we could use them as nappies again?!

Thanks in advance for the advice, ladies :widesmile:

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Aaghh leaks leaks leaks. fitteds advice please!

Postby ems101 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:59 am

I just ordered some bamboo fitteds from 'a mama knows' £7 each! They have good reviews so will let you know!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:36 am

Fitteds definitely sound like they re lasting you longer. I didn t get on with Tuttos either they would just wick at the leg holes.
I m not sure that cotton terries would be any better than bamboozles (although I could be wrong) I would have thought they would be very bulky to achieve 4 hours. I d say 3 hours during the day is about average for most people ... Or it was for me but I suppose mine were heavier wetters.
Have you thought about bamboo prefolds? Or the cotton/ hemp ones. Or bamboo terries pad folded. The bulk is then between their legs where its most need. A cheaper option to perhaps go alongside your bamboozles?
I m sure others will have some ideas too.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:00 am

I've not been able to leave a nappy on any of my 4 for 4 hours (and wouldn't want to really, I like to change more often than that) without it either being saturated or need boosting and none of them have been particularly heavy wetters. 2-3 is the norm for most cloth nappies (other than nighttime ones). Bamboo is more absorbent than cotton so I doubt terries would last 4 hours unless boosted. I've not used bamboozles for years so not sure how abosrbent they are but we use WAHM bamboo fitteds with added zorb.

My avatar
usinukveg
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby usinukveg » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:06 am

We find cotton terry squares really good on absorbency (and cheeeeeep) but didn't start pad folding until the poo was more solid (7 or 8 months maybe?). I haven't had as much luck with bamboo terries, but my cotton ones are thick and the bamboo ones were quite thin. I don't have bamboozles though so can't compare to terries.

If you want a booster to make nappies last longer, hemp is pretty thin and works well if you put it on the outside of the nappy (between the nappy and the wrap). The wee kind of overflows if we put hemp boosters on the inside of the nappy. Hemp holds a lot but doesn't absorb super quickly. I've heard that zorb makes a great booster too, but haven't tried it myself.

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:32 am

Mine are quite heavy weytters and no nappy on earth would last 4 hours in the day. I give mine 2-3 hours max. Tuttos are ok dor us, are they wet all through or just in one place? I find that they are better now at 1 year than at earlier times.
We gwt on much better with fitteds now though and use wool, haven't used a wrap since Evie was teeny.
Hth

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:25 pm

I love bamboo terries on Oscar but then he's teeny. I'm not sure if they'd be too bulky on a toddler.

Tb Flexitots are quite good as they have plenty of room for stuffing. They've lasted us overnight with added inserts. We use Dudeybaba 3 layer bamboo inserts and they fit in most nappies really well.
Minki nappies have loads of stuffing room as well but they are bulky.

My avatar
Slebro
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Slebro » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:32 pm

ems101 wrote:I just ordered some bamboo fitteds from 'a mama knows' £7 each! They have good reviews so will let you know!

Thanks, that's a good place to start!

confusinglady wrote:Have you thought about bamboo prefolds? Or the cotton/ hemp ones. Or bamboo terries pad folded.

Hmmmm I have a thirsties hemp prefold which is quite good, maybe I should look for more as they are really tiny too so I can boost too...

Louise wrote:I've not been able to leave a nappy on any of my 4 for 4 hours
maybe I'm wanting the moon on a stick?! It's so disheartening when people know ds is in cloth and see his nappy has leaked again... I tend to change every 2 or 3 hours but do get caught out if he's had more to drink. 4 hours would see him through from after his wash till just after a whole playgroup, which would be nice!!

Louise wrote:we use WAHM bamboo fitteds with added zorb.
I haven't gone down this road as I think of wahm nappies as being super pricey, are some a similar cost to bamboozles etc?

usinukveg wrote:If you want a booster to make nappies last longer, hemp is pretty thin and works well if you put it on the outside of the nappy (between the nappy and the wrap).
I may well be looking in the wrong places / at the wrong time but whenever I find a shop selling hemp boosters they're always sold out :( I don't often have cash to spend on nappies so maybe I end up missing the times they're in stock!

aimeet wrote:Tuttos are ok dor us, are they wet all through or just in one place? I find that they are better now at 1 year than at earlier times.
they are definitely better now than when he was younger, although the rise is so low that we'll have to stop using them anyway I think as I can't fit them any lower on his front now, iykwim? The tuttos are sopping wet, with 2 mini boosters and both of the other ones (all bamboo) and as they're so tiny I can't fit any more inserts in before we get serious leg gape - I'd need a wrap over the top which defeats the point! I'm curious that they're good for your heavy wetters though, maybe mine need a strip wash? I'd never thought of ds being particularly heavy wetting since he weaned so there might be something going on with the inserts?

Thanks for the advice, @ems101, @confusinglady, @Louise, @usinukveg, @aimeet, lots to think about here :)

My avatar
Slebro
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Slebro » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:37 pm

Bugglyboo wrote:I love bamboo terries on Oscar but then he's teeny. I'm not sure if they'd be too bulky on a toddler.

Tb Flexitots are quite good as they have plenty of room for stuffing. They've lasted us overnight with added inserts. We use Dudeybaba 3 layer bamboo inserts and they fit in most nappies really well.
Minki nappies have loads of stuffing room as well but they are bulky.

@Bugglyboo I'd wondered about minkis but thought the same :( didn't think of flexitots though and could find them preloved easily too... or there'll be rnw deals on them I should think. I'll definitely need to look at some more boosters, I only have a handful of LL bamboo 2s which doesn't go very far!

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat