Thoughts on natural vs manmade fabric next to baby's skin

My avatar
bealos
Clothie
Clothie

Thoughts on natural vs manmade fabric next to baby's skin

Postby bealos » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:45 am

I'm in a quandry...

Are natural fabrics best next to baby's skin e.g cotton? This will mean, obviously, it will be damp next to their skin until you change them. Or is having a 'dry bottom' paramount, in which case you'd have a synthetic fabric next to their skin, such as fleece or minky.

Thoughts?

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Thoughts on natural vs manmade fabric next to baby's skin

Postby aimeet » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:52 am

We always use a fleece liner here but my dd's get rashes if they are next to wetness. We didn't get on with dispo liners either so use microfibre or fleece.

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:02 am

When James was in nappies - he hated any wet feeling so we used fleece liners. We did briefly use disposable ones but they moved around too much and got all scrunched up - so were a total waste of time.
With Eleanor - she's not been bothered - so we've often not used liners with her.

I think it's more important to have a breathable fabric next to babies bottom. Whether its man made or natural doesn't make too much difference - just so long as its breathable. Which is why we love our fitteds and wool the most!

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:33 am

We use fleece liners too. DS2 reacted badly to dispo liners but instantly cleared with fleece. I guess it depends on how your LO reacts to the wetness against the skin? If there are no issues then I don't see why not just have natural fibers close to their skin :D

My avatar
labbiefan
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby labbiefan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:33 am

Always used fleece x

My avatar
bealos
Clothie
Clothie

Postby bealos » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:06 pm

I've been tempted by some Micro Diddy Diapers - they are microfleece outer and lined with cotton jersey. I reckon, they'd be very absorbent, but wet against baby's bum - so I'd need to use a fleece liner if I didn't want the wetness to be against baby's bottom. We've been using paper liners so far and LO has had nappy rash, it's hard to tell what from exactly.

I like microfleece for its quick drying properties (we have no dryer) but I can't help wondering if babies bottoms get hotter (or sweatier - tmi?) in microfleece vs cotton or bamboo?

I love our Motherease Sandys and Kissaluvs but they do quite a while to dry.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:12 pm

Paper liners gave my ds2 awful rash, he even blistered and bled :( , but within 24hrs of using fleece his skin was totally clear.

I think they would get hotter in fleece as oppose to cotton & bamboo but it has never caused any issues with my 3. I'd say it's down to personal choice really :D

My avatar
bealos
Clothie
Clothie

Postby bealos » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:07 pm

OK - good to know... am going to try our LO without paper liners (and with fleece liners) and see if that improves her rash. Thanks!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:01 pm

Hiya,
Paper liners have my LO nappy rash too, my theory was that the liner ended up stuck to her bottom meaning it was pointless as a stay dry liner.
Fleece has been so much better :thumbsup:

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat