hf1

Nappies in hospital

My avatar
Liz_Mossum
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Nappies in hospital

Postby Liz_Mossum » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:28 pm

I'm a first time Mum and just getting my hospital bag together. Got all my stuff sorted, but just need to decide what to take for baby. I have a variety of newborn sizes, but am wondering if I should just get a pack of eco friendly disposables for when we're in the hospital.

Had midwife appointment today and she said that I'm as healthy as can be (not sure how with all the rubbish I'm eating) and that he's bang in the middle measurements wise, so I'm hoping that all will go well and I'll not be in long, but I'm a natural worrier.

I guess I just have no idea what happens in hospital. Will I be the one doing all the nappy changes? When will I do a first nappy change? After the birth do they put baby in a nappy and if so, won't they just use whatever nappies they tend to use?

I keep hearing that the first poos are meconium and therefore black/tricky to get clean. Would it be better to use disposables as a result of this? I'm planning on BF-ing and I understand BF poo more and need changing a lot more frequently?

I don't want to get myself stressed about it all and I'm just worried that I have lots of different types of nappies in my stash, but won't know which ones work best for him till he is born and would prefer to experiment in my own home (I've never changed a nappy in my life :-? )

The other thing is that people have mentioned on a previous thread of mine about using terrys and those nippa fastenings as they can be suited to any sized baby. I could do all the folding before we go and get them ready in his hospital bag. What have other people done? Sorry for all the questions!

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Nappies in hospital

Postby ems101 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:48 pm

with our second, i took in cloth nappies. When James was born, he was skin to skin for a while and then hubs took him and dressed him. He used a cloth nappy (AOI BG, so nice and easy ;). My mum did the second nappy as I was layed up. From then on, I did most of them as hubs was looking after our older child. I used cloth when i could but if we didnt keep up with the washing or didnt have nappies to hand that worked for us in the first few weeks, i used eco disposables. In those first few weeks, youve just gotta do what you can manage!

Our new born stash lasted about 5 mins as some things didnt suit and most were too small (DS was 10lb at birth). so it took a while to buy the next lot.

As for meconium, It came out fine in the machine, it was the BF poo that tended to stain!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:51 pm

Lots of questions but the answers are it depends lol. I'll tell you what we did .......

I took 4 small and 4 xs with us 2 of which didn't fit. The other 6 were all used up from 5pm til 10 am when rob brought more from home and he did that every day taking dirty ones back. I got left to nappy changes which was fine I took cloth wipes too instead of cotton wool.

Terries are a fab idea and I would recommend the jo fold for newborns. Used to practice on a teddy :giggle:

I am glad I used cloth from birth meconium didn't bother me and washed out fine. But it's a personal preference whether to have the ease of disposables. They ask you loads if baby is pooing and weeing but I could never tell with Izzy in sposies if she had weed ! So was glad of cloth this time.

Any more questions just shout :)

My avatar
Gladys
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Gladys » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:52 pm

If I were you I would reduce my stress and just take in some disposables. You have got so many thing going on when you go into hospital and no way of knowing what will happen (I had to stay a couple of nights with both my babes). You will have one less worry and then you can experiment at home. Take care and get ready for the ride of your life! xx

My avatar
Liz_Mossum
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Liz_Mossum » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:56 pm

Thanks everyone, much appreciated :)

We have a few AIOs but mostly 2 parters. Think I'll get some terries as was planning on doing that anyway and some disposables.

I'm finding so many things are hard to plan! :giggle:

I do like the idea of reducing stress!

My avatar
weebee
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby weebee » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:20 pm

Terries were huge on my teenie newborn- muslins in a joy fold worked much better so I'd thoroughly recommend those. And bumgenius xs are great! I had a very small baby though. Even as an experienced cloth nappy user, I think I'll be sticking to disposables in hospital as I want to free up my focus for breast feeding. I really struggled with that last time.

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:25 pm

I am due next week :shock: and have a selection of XS and S fitted nappies in the bag for baby and will add some terries / muslins as well. If I am in more than one night DH will bring more from home and take the dirties away.

DH has insisted on having a pack of sposies around as well (I had a section last time and it was all too much for him to keep up with the washing!)

My avatar
Liz_Mossum
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Liz_Mossum » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:34 pm

I definitely want to focus on breast feeding and would place that much higher on my list of priorities. Am definitely leaning towards disposables initially having read all of the responses. I don't have that many newborns nappies, as was planning on seeing which ones worked and then ordering a load of those, but won't be able to do that when in hospital.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:27 pm

I took eco dispos in with me and glad I did being as I had an emcs so dh didn't have to worry about washing as well as our 2 other boys! No harm in having some emergency nappies while to get to know your baby :-)

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat