hf1

Prefolds for newborns before pockets or AIO's?

My avatar
ponygirl
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Prefolds for newborns before pockets or AIO's?

Postby ponygirl » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:01 pm

Probably a silly question but do prefolds come in different sizes? Never used them with my first. I didnt have enough little nappies last time so she was only in part time cloth until she fitted btp.

My avatar
Bernadette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Bernadette » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:05 pm

Yes they do

My avatar
Sophiebeth23
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Sophiebeth23 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:08 pm

I haven't ever used a nippa. I keep thinking I should. Shall I buy one? I just do a breast fed fold and use the wrap to hold it in place. We have bambino mio wraps.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:44 am

Sophiebeth23 wrote:I haven't ever used a nippa. I keep thinking I should. Shall I buy one?

I only had one or two prefolds that I'd use as a quick just before bath etc nappy and I always used a nippa as that was what I was used to with fitted nappies.

ponygirl wrote:I didnt have enough little nappies last time so she was only in part time cloth until she fitted btp.

Good way to make up numbers cheaply! I also love good old terry squares - so many options to fold! @ponygirl

Lilac14 wrote:Also, what covers did you prefer for newborns? I'm thinking the rumparooz or bummis but really don't know.
@Lilac14 I went mainly with Motherease last time as they have a reputation (and rightly so :thumbsup: ) of being bomb proof. This time I've also got a Nature Babies small and am going to be making some of my own.

Lilac14 wrote:I'm not due until end of November but I want to try and start getting some nappies so that I can spread the cost.

I'm also due then (well 4th December but I'll be induced earlier than that) adn I'm doing the same, i hope to everything organised well in advance! Don't forget to add to the Babies growing on the tree list :)
Lilac14 wrote:Trying to decide wether to get some newborn AIOs too
I had one newborn AIO last time and didn't rate it much as my other nappies as their poo is so liquid that a 2 part system is a safer option, but due to proper elastic it will still be a better containment generally than disposables so you can always try a few (and if you like them get more when baby moves up a size!).

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:11 pm

@lilac14
I would get one or two newborn aio like the teenyfit too. They are very handy to have and good for out and about and/or if you want a quick change especially with curious spectators ;) they keep their value too.

With regards the prefolds, if you put a wanted post on here there might be someone selling or giving away free for postage. Or its the sort of thing you find on local free cycle type sites as they are heavier to post so if you can pick some up locally. Hth

ponygirl wrote:Probably a silly question but do prefolds come in different sizes? Never used them with my first. I didnt have enough little nappies last time so she was only in part time cloth until she fitted btp.

@ponygirl Emma don t but any will you, you can have mine ;)

Sophiebeth23 wrote:I haven't ever used a nippa. I keep thinking I should. Shall I buy one? I just do a breast fed fold and use the wrap to hold it in place. We have bambino mio wraps.

I wouldn't bother for prefolds now I don t think, If your fold works. I found it harder to do, and not as necessary with older baby and weaned poo ;)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:57 pm

confusinglady wrote:Sophiebeth23 wrote:I haven't ever used a nippa. I keep thinking I should. Shall I buy one? I just do a breast fed fold and use the wrap to hold it in place. We have bambino mio wraps.

I wouldn't bother for prefolds now I don t think, If your fold works. I found it harder to do, and not as necessary with older baby and weaned poo ;)

@confusinglady I did because I was used to doing that (and I guess didn't trust / know how to do other wise!). Would I have to have a BM wrap or can I use any wrap to do it without a nippa? Do you basically just lie it in the wrap? I want to make the 6 or so I have work in the early days!

@Sophiebeth23 what is the BF fold?

My avatar
ponygirl
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ponygirl » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:13 am

ponygirl wrote:Probably a silly question but do prefolds come in different sizes? Never used them with my first. I didnt have enough little nappies last time so she was only in part time cloth until she fitted btp.

@ponygirl Emma don t but any will you, you can have mine ;)

[/quote]

Thankyou :D That would really help my stash :D

@Lilac14 I also agree while flats are good to build your stash, a few all in ones come in really handy. I *think* I only had 3 last time, a bumgenious newborn and 2 teenyfits. I think these are particularly handy for dads and grandparents etc.

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:14 am

clothmama wrote:
confusinglady wrote:Sophiebeth23 wrote:I haven't ever used a nippa. I keep thinking I should. Shall I buy one? I just do a breast fed fold and use the wrap to hold it in place. We have bambino mio wraps.

@confusinglady I did because I was used to doing that (and I guess didn't trust / know how to do other wise!). Would I have to have a BM wrap or can I use any wrap to do it without a nippa? Do you basically just lie it in the wrap? I want to make the 6 or so I have work in the early days!

@Sophiebeth23 what is the BF fold?

I just couldn't seem to get the side bits round enough once Tess got bigger.... She was quite a tubby little thing though :giggle: it was squeezing her tummy too much.

I think the breast fed fold is how you would do it to nippa it but just lay it in a wrap. So the back bit fanned out.

Wrap wise ones with a gusset are better. Flips, thirsties, nature babies, bambino mio.

I ve always found that a size 1 prefold boosted with a bamboo or hemp booster has got me through that bit at 4-6 months growth spurt/ pre weaning and out weeing everything stage.

I wonder its worth doing prefolds for you Tory @clothmama if you get on with terries, especially if you ll have some fitteds too as I found they need different wraps. Or stick to nippa ing the prefolds then you can use the wraps without gussets. I hope that all makes sense!!

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:23 am

I've no experience of prefolds, so can't comment there (the flat nappies I had bought quickly got relegated to burp cloths as I just couldn't get the hang of folding on a moving target! :hohoho: ). But I found BG a pretty good fit from birth. I'd definitely recommend Motherease Sandy's from birth, as an alternative. For the price, they're a great option.

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat