hf1

Overwhelmed by boosters?

My avatar
Mummysaurus
Clothie
Clothie

Overwhelmed by boosters?

Postby Mummysaurus » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:32 am

Hi ladies, I've began putting an almost 18 month old (heavy wetter - only just discovering now) in cloth. He's in bambino mio solo nappies as wanted something with good reviews for toddlers with big thighs. Their microfibre then I add in 1 mio boost booster it's just microfibre I think, the nappy gets soaked in 1 hour spreading to his clothes and the outer. He is a v healthy wetter, I never noticed before - pampers stay dry are very good disposables, but I want to switch to cloth (another baby due in December who I'll hope To cloth bum too). So anyway sorry for rambling, back to the subject. Best boosters to try? Could people specifically name known ones so ican purchase if possible please? Heard ptit dessous were very good but cannot find some to purchase. Also could be people give advice on number of their recommended minimum layers for booster materials? Some look very thin indeed, is this okay x

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: Overwhelmed by boosters?

Postby littlesez » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:20 am

The short answer is any boosters except microfiber ! Back later for a long answer xxx

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:58 am

Hi and welcome to the tree @Mummysaurus :wave: :wave:

Agree with Sara, microfibre is not what you need, not on its own anyway! You need to get some hemp and or bamboo, personally I still use microfibre on top as it absorbs really quickly then have hemp / bamboo behind it. I would suggest trying some different sorts and seeing what works for you. I actually really liked having lots of different types as then I could customise nappies for what they were needed for. In terms of layers, it is really a case of trial and error, most of my hemp boosters were 6 layers then I'd add a MF one which was 2 or 3. It just depends on what material you are using and how thick each layer is so it is really hard to say!

Honestly if you have a heavy wetter then pockets may not be the best everyday nappy for you anyway. Fitteds with a cover (PUL or wool) would probably be a better option for you.

Brand wise, the other girls will have a bit more up to date knowledge than me but I think the Little Lambs bamboo ones are meant to be quite good value. I actually made quite a lot of mine, I just bought a metre of hemp and if you can sew a straight line you can make boosters!

Please ask any other questions you have!

My avatar
Mummysaurus
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Mummysaurus » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:14 pm

Thanks for both of your replies, I looked into how much liquid different boosters soak up, and have ordered 3 hemp babies bigger weeds from fluffheaven as they'll each soak up 500ml and shouldn't be too bulky, excited to try them now :D really don't want to give up on the nappies I've got as would feel like such a waste have only just this week spent just under £40 on the 3 of them with the mio boost (which will not be used anymore!) so want to help make them the ones for us if I can x

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:50 pm

Hemp is brilliant. Make sure you put the microfibre closest to the skin as mf absorbs quickly to get the wee away from the skin. The hemp absorbs much more liquid, but more slowly than mf.

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:58 pm

If you are still after the ptit dessous superbamboo inserts, Little Pants have some instock. I used them in bumgenius pockets and they worked great.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat