Newbie Alert

My avatar
imaceful
Clothie
Clothie

Newbie Alert

Postby imaceful » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:49 pm

Hello all! :wave:

I'm new (ish) to the cloth nappy life. I have a boy due in March, and me and my husband are uber keen on cloth nappies. Only issue is we have NO idea what were doing lol!

I have dabbled with them before with my eldest and the only thing I know for sure is that I'm not a massive fan on the two part system (terry type thing you pin with a wrap over it).

Any advice is greatly appreciated! :hug:

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Newbie Alert

Postby ems101 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:47 pm

Oooh terries with pins! They've moved on a lot since then. We'll have lots of fun playing with ideas of things to try :)

Congrats on your bump x

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Dancing mum » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:44 pm

Hello :wave:
Like ema101 said there's sooo much more to discover than just terries with a pin (although I know some people still swear by them).
When it comes to 2 parts you could still try fitted nappies as these come with aplix / snaps fastenings (or you can use a nappy nippa but the terries experience might have put you off those?). Fitted nappies come in several different materials too, not just cotton terry, so you might find Microfibre, bamboo or hemp nappies better... all have their pros and cons and I'm sure there's probably plenty of other options I haven't discovered yet (for what it's worth I like bamboo and hemp).
You can also get gorgeous prints for your covers too (I love Blueberry wraps but there are so many to choose from, I often hear people raving about Airflow Rikkis too).
I am yet to really try wool but that's going to be my next bit of cloth nappy fun :giggle:
I don't have a tumble drier so I also find pocket nappies really useful. These are where you have the waterproof shell (mine are PLU and then fleece lined) and you 'stuff' them with absorbent inserts / boosters. You can work out what type of inserts and how many work best for your baby and then you're away. These mean you only have the one nappy to put on baby rather than nappy and a wrap (iyswim) which is really handy especially when out. If you've got a tumble drier you might even want a few all-in-ones, which are basically a pocket nappy that doesn't need stuffing as all the absorbency is already sewn in.
Anyway, I could go on but I'm sure you'd much rather be nappy hunting than reading my drivel... Enjoy and let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:57 am

Hi and welcome @imaceful :wave: have a good look through all the different sections and that will help you with what there is available and then we can help answer any questions you may have!

My biggest bit of advice when starting out is to not buy lots of one type of nappy, get a good range of different varieties and brands so that you find out what you and your hubby like and what suits your baby :bw: Have a look through classifieds, a great way to build your collection at a great price so you can try lots of things :widesmile:

My avatar
imaceful
Clothie
Clothie

Postby imaceful » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:01 am

Thank you ladies :) xx

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat