Having to give up. :(

My avatar
Melfly
Clothie
Clothie

Having to give up. :(

Postby Melfly » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:29 pm

Hi Guys
I have a 16 month old boy and I have been using cloth since he was born. I have tots bots AIOs which i boost with a flat nappy, Little lamb bamboo nappies with blueberry coveralls and a few others.
I'm not getting more than 2 hours out of them usually a lot less.
I think he may be a 'heavy wetter' as he can even leak through a disposable during the night.

I don't think the nappies would boost much more as they would then be too bulky.
I'm reluctant to spend more money on nappies as i've spent a lot on the ones i have. We have a new baby due March so I dont want to sell and buy something new either as I will get more use out of my current stash.

Any ideas? We are currently using disposables.

Thanks
Mel

My avatar
rhodaf
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Having to give up. :(

Postby rhodaf » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:46 pm

My daughter (just turned 2) is a really heavy wetter too. I found the best thing was traditional terry squares with an extra booster when needed - everything else just got wet too quick or it came out the sides as it wasn't absorbed quick enough! With squares you can adjust the fold to get the absorbtion where you need it and to fit your child well too. I had some that I got 2nd hand so it wasnt a big investment. I used with natures babies wraps though theres plenty others you could use.

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Dancing mum » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:00 pm

What sort of boosters have you got? My baby is only 8 months so probably not peeing any where near as much as your little one, but she does get through nappies quickly. The most absorbent boosters I've found have been hemp ones and I'm about to get some thirsties hemp prefolds which I hope to use to boost at night. I do use bamboo as well but always add in a hemp booster as the last layer (furthest from bum iykwim).
I tried zorb recently too which I heard was great and even though it worked I still think the hemp lasts longer.
I realise though that this might not be very helpful without buying more prefolds/ boosters :(

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Dancing mum » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:04 pm

Just had another thought... If there is room inside the blueberry coverall when he has the little lamb on could you fit hemp (or even more bamboo) boosters on the outside of nappy between nappy and wrap? This way you're not taking up room in nappy so it should still fit well, but if you put hemp outside it then because it's more absorbent the wee will be soaked up quicker by the bamboo to get it away from skin and then store in the hemp. Might be worth a try?
Good luck whatever you decide :thumbsup:

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:05 pm

Another vote for traditional flat nappies here. I see them a lot on free cycle, so worth keeping an eye on. Try wool or fleece soakers with heavy wetters. If you're watching pennies, use primary or ikea 99p fleece blanket (cheapest way to buy fleece, I reckon) to make your own.

My avatar
shinycat
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby shinycat » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:39 pm

I found TotsBots AIOs (presume you're talking Easyfits here?) rubbish too once my kids were over about a year old. I bought lots of different styles but always ended up going back to Sandys in the end. My DS is potty training now and I am about to sell everything except my Sandys which I will keep for nighttimes. They are very cheap second hand, and they last for years. Although it is a bit of a faff, my suggestion would be to sell your easyfits and replace with Sandys and Airflow wraps (I'm not sure if Blueberry wraps will fit over Sandy's as they are cut quite low on the thigh). It really wouldn't cost you that much.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat