I could have had a new nappy!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

I could have had a new nappy!

Postby clothmama » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:04 pm

Not a flash one but a basic one new or a really decent preloved but no all I got for my $14 (7 pounds) was one smallish pack of dispos :shock: (or 'travel nappies' :giggle: as J thinks we should call them!) :evil: :evil:

Seriously I grabbed a pack while I was out the other day and I was actually shocked to have to pay out that money (even though I knew how much they cost if that makes sense!)! I got them in prep for the travel etc but we have actually decided to put him in them this week as we are just so busy and I have so much washing of winter gear / bedding etc that something just has to give! Not bad to get to 2 months before he'd had a dispo nappy on his bum so I'm not going to feel bad!

However none of us are very impressed :roll: :-? - they stink (really stink, I had forgotten how much :puke: ), the cost a lot, they don't look very nice and sag when it is hot and they are just in a singlet and nappy, and there is nothing to hold onto - he doesn't feel like my normal baby :giggle:!

Sadly now that we have decided to use them in the lead up to leaving I'll have to buy a bigger packet and they cost $30 (20 quid!!) :shock: so I really could have got a nice nappy with that and I guess you'd need to buy a pack of them every 2 weeks - what a collection that would build!

If I catch up on the rest of the washing and packing then I might be able to get back into cloth next week for a few days :fingerscrossed: . I think I'll go put another load on before I go to bed :washing: :giggle:

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: I could have had a new nappy!

Postby LynniferT » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:57 pm

:shock: at the price!

I agree about babies feeling funny when you hold them in disposables, i tried a disposable insert out in DD's flip wrap once and she had no fluffy bum to squish... didnt like it one bit :giggle:

My avatar
BekkiLB
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby BekkiLB » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:32 pm

We move on Wednesday so like you, got blaine in dispos and oh my word they smell in the bin!!! I keep picking him up and thinking he's no nappy on haha! And his breeks keep falling down!

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:00 pm

Doesn't the rubbish stack up?! We had both boys in sposies at certain times and we were filling bins and bins. The cost is crazy and the smell of some of them is voms Ville!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:15 pm

I know! We re currently in sposies ( LO not me personally :hohoho:) and the rubbish stacks up and it's horrid. The cost is horrendous especially when I have a stash sitting here. I just can t keep on top of life, washing and my sanity so haven t got back to using them :(
I never really had cloth breaks with the girls so I feel so bad.
By the time I do he ll be potty training :giggle:

My avatar
Rufies mama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Rufies mama » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:28 pm

Is it worth just using biodegradable disposable inserts in a washable shell? My LO currently wear dispoable pull ups at night (PT'd during the day) and when they're wet (not often) they just go straight into our woodburner so I'm pleased to say that not a single one has gone into landfill. :)

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:25 pm

Couldn't agree more.
Percy had enteritis a couple if days ago, meaning we ran out if wraps through watery poonami leakage into the wrap. I had to put one of the nb pack freebies on him while they dried, and the stench is foul! I had assumed more diarrhoea and getting worse, but no; just wee and plastic nappy chemicals. Uurrrrrggghhhhh! :puke:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:27 pm

Rufies mama wrote:Is it worth just using biodegradable disposable inserts in a washable shell? My LO currently wear dispoable pull ups at night (PT'd during the day) and when they're wet (not often) they just go straight into our woodburner so I'm pleased to say that not a single one has gone into landfill. :)

That is a good idea but not sure you can even get them here and if you can too late now to source them!

So that pack ran out really quickly so I got a big box which set me back $30 (20 pounds) plus nearly $5 for wipes (because of course I have to pay extra to get the plain water ones not the chemically ones!). Now that is a seriously decent cloth nappy! The cost excuse for not using cloth is not washing with me!

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat