hf1

Leaks all the time!

My avatar
Stephkidd89
Clothie
Clothie

Leaks all the time!

Postby Stephkidd89 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:53 am

Hi, I think we are close to giving up on cloth-oh insisted we used a disposable for the first time last night and it's the first time she's not needed an entire outfit change within about 2 hrs!

We have a mix of teenyfits (different versions I think) BG newborn, lil joeys and have recently tried done 2 part combos with TB bamboozles & their cotton version which I think is discontinued (was given both new by cloth nappy library), but literally everything leaks. It may be Florence's size? She's long with skinny legs but developing a bigger belly now (she is 5 weeks on Thursday) or maybe she's a really heavy wetter
We change get every 2-3 hrs unless she's asleep, usually closer to every 2 hrs given the leaking but sometimes even sooner than that she's soaked. If she is to have a good long nap an hour after a nappy gets put on she will inevitably wake up soaked along wjyv any blankets/bedding she's using, is she's asleep on one of us we too need to change.
Basically we are fed up of the constant need to change and wash everything, seems counterproductive to literally ALWAYS have the washing machine running when trying to be more environmentally friendly. I hate the idea of swapping to disposables but does anyone have any suggestions?
We are already boosting with LL bamboo boosters and/or the teenyfit boosters, bar the fitted 2 piece nappies they're all pre loved from here so should be up to full absorbancy?
Have just ordered a new charlie banana to try-hoping the leg adjustment may save the day?

Thank you x

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: Leaks all the time!

Postby littlesez » Tue May 05, 2015 3:04 am

If the leaks are like pouring out of the legs then it's a fit issue, if it's leaking through the nappy then it's absorbency.

Because she is none mobile you can get compression leaks where wetness is squished out.

What inserts are you using, how many times have they been washed ?

My avatar
Stephkidd89
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Stephkidd89 » Tue May 05, 2015 4:16 am

Sometimes it's clearly a fit thing-its usually around the legs that it seems to leak, even if there's no visable leg gape when dressing her. All the nappies we are using are meant to be small enough to fit her don't don't know how else we can adapt the fit?! Maybe the elastics aren't so good as they're m second hand.
Other times, particularly with the lil joeys it just feels like the wee has soaked right through the entire nappy, can the waterproof on an AIO wear our?!

The inserts are the microfibre teenyfits ones, and little lamb bamboo size one. I washed the bamboo ones 4 times before using and they've all been washed lots since x

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Tue May 05, 2015 12:00 pm

Oscar had skinny little legs and could wear pockets. We used muslins for him boosted with bamboo and they worked really well.

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Dancing mum » Tue May 05, 2015 8:56 pm

My LO has always been quite chunky so managed to get a fairly decent fit from early on (although definitely improved after about 10 weeks old).
Microfibre has never worked for us though, always get compression leaks. We use combo of bamboo (mainly LL's) and hemp to boost pockets. We always use 2 parters at nighttime, bamboo nappies which we then lay a hemp booster between nappy and wrap. Bamboozles only ever last 2 hrs on my LO so never use it at night.

My avatar
fatcatnorwich
Clothie
Clothie

Postby fatcatnorwich » Mon May 11, 2015 1:45 pm

Maybe you could try a motherease sandy? It is very absorbent and there are poppers on the leg so it is more likely to fit around the thigh well.

My avatar
PixieFix
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby PixieFix » Mon May 11, 2015 3:59 pm

Also PUL, which is the waterproof part, is breathable. Meaning its not 100%waterproof. If there is a puddle just sitting on it it will eventually leak through and this is when you need more absorbency. It can also eventually wear out, but after quite a few years if they are well looked after. What size is she? And what wrap did you use with the tots bots?

My avatar
Lubird
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Lubird » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:13 pm

Hi. I'm struggling with leaking tots bots bamboozle stretch leaking all the time. I've never had any probs until now. My lo is 22 months and now goes through almost three change of clothes a day. She's full time at the nursery and loves her water (which I think is good). I'm starting to get quite fed up with the leaking so much disposables are starting to tempt me. They leak at the leg. I'm wondering if the wraps have been washed too much?

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:38 pm

@lubird
It could be that your LO is holding wee longer then having a ' power wee' that the nappy can't cope with at that speed. Bamboo will absorb slower too.
I have always found that at about that age they can be dry one moment and soaked through the next.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat