Oh so many questions

My avatar
Bunnylover
Clothie
Clothie

Oh so many questions

Postby Bunnylover » Thu May 14, 2015 3:48 pm

Hello first post in the group :) it's long so here we go

So I really want cloth to work but I feel like I am failing...

Little man is now 6 weeks old weighs 4kg/9lb 1 oz so we have been trying to use cloth on and off since birth

Initially we used gnappies newborn and we love them have had little problems. In pregnancy I did a lot of research - not enough I think and purchased a wide range to try at home. I also went to my nappy library to get some tips.

Basically we are getting leaks, I have watched the you tube videos on fit problems (I lurk here a lot)

We are using sized Bambooty - easy dry and they leak at the leg after 1hr half in the day

Bambooty AIO2's which are microfibre inserts BTP and they are leaking intermittently around the leg..
I had better success with Baba and Boo Pockets no leaks yesterday - but today after a short car journey he was soaked...
Overnight I have been using LL or totsbots with an outer and that has been ok..
I think he is a 'heavy wetter' but how do you know? he is only 6 weeks and EBF, he doesn't poo everyday so I guess he has to get rid of his milk somehow LOL
I am also wondering if it is compression microfibre leaks? how do you tell of this is the case
Can anyone recommend any good sites/forums I am planning to go back to the nappy library but I had a c section so couldn't drive

I also have some bambino mio BTP but I haven't tried those as I read they are better for bigger babies do people agree

I am determined to get this right but its tricky TIA

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Oh so many questions

Postby cuppachaplz » Thu May 14, 2015 4:15 pm

personally I can't get a good fit around the legs with pocket or ai1/2 nappies until they're a bit bigger; I still haven't hot a hope with Percy, and that you say your 2 part night system is ok, suggests the same.
You could try flat nappies eg (Terry squares or tie ons) during the day under your wraps.
Or bimbles, or even ll mf are slimmer.
Make sure your vest is nice and lose around the gusset to avoid pressure leaks

You can get some good deals on preloaded newborn nappies as they don't get a lot of wear :)

My avatar
Katielou
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Katielou » Thu May 14, 2015 4:24 pm

I think if the nappy is heavy and soaked when you take off its just not enough absorbancy. If it doesn't feel saturated it might be fit or compression. Maybey try some Bamboo boosters with the microfibre. Re if heavy wetter see: http://www.theflufflady.co.uk/?p=2295

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Thu May 14, 2015 7:42 pm

I used to use a mix of inserts, generally either microfibres or bamboo on top of a hemp (easy peasy if you can still get them) insert. Quick and slow absorption!

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Thu May 14, 2015 9:54 pm

I couldn't get pockets to work at that age, I used Diddy diapers, bimbles and flat terries.

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Dancing mum » Thu May 14, 2015 11:09 pm

The only pockets (all btp) that fit my LO in the early months were Charlie Bananas as you adjust the leg elastic to size. My others didn't start fitting properly until about 3 months I think (even though she was within the weight range and was always quite chunky). I now use pockets well over 50% of the time so you'll hopefully find they work for you later on. Microfibre inserts has never worked for us either so even though we don't have a tumble drier we still always use bamboo and hemp inserts as I find them much better.
For those first few months the best fit was definitely fitted nappy with a wrap for us. I had some size 1 tots bots which were a great fit but I haven't got on with size 2s at all.
I didn't try terries until more recently but I'd definitely use them in the early months next time round as they're much easier than I thought once you're used to them. I add a small bamboo booster inside the folds too for extra absorbancy as my LO is a heavy wetter.
I'd also found fleece liners great but make sure you tuck them in properly.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat