hf1

Lots of leaks

My avatar
Bumboleo
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Lots of leaks

Postby Bumboleo » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:53 pm

Recently we've been getting lots of leaks with DS' nappies. We mainly use Charlie Banana, Little Lambs One Size and Totsbots, and they're all starting to leak either around the legs or out the top at the front. The inserts are not always saturated so I think it might be to do with the fit. We were just out for an hour and got through 2 leaky nappies.

Does doing the nappy up too tight lead to leaks? I'm a bit scared to leave them looser round the waist and legs because of leaks, but we're getting leaks anyway when tighter.

He is already on the middle rise setting at 6 months, as they were gaping at the front on the smallest rise. So I'm worried these aren't going to see us through to potty training! :-?

I need some advice :doh: Thanks in advance x

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Lots of leaks

Postby LynniferT » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:00 pm

Do you have any pics of the fit and we can see if thats the problem?

We are in the middle setting at 6 months too so i dont see that being too much of a problem.
I'm thinking more compression leaks (vest too tight?) or you have a power wee'r (wees too quick for nappy to absorb)

Anyone else any ideas?

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:47 pm

Stripping? I've had that problem with some Bumgenius and stripping helped :) there was just soap build up in the inner material of the diapers so that was why it didn't get through to the inserts

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:00 am

What inserts are you using @Bumboleo ? Remember at 6 months they are at their peak of milk consumption and it is often the time people need to tweak what they are doing. In terms of fit they tend to slim down once they become more mobile. Rémy was on the biggest setting of some of my mediums at around that time and then once he started crawling adn grew upwards a bit he has now gone back a popper and hasnt' really budged again and he is 12 months now. I remember it was the same with Louis, he was in medium Fuzzi Bunz from 6 months or something right through until potty training!

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Dancing mum » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:50 pm

I'd agree with the extra boosting.
I use little lamb one size but always add an extra hemp booster to them behind the bamboo.
Do you use the microfibre inserts that come with the Charlie Bananas? I find CB great for fit as they are so adjustable but regularly had compression leaks from just a few months. I bought extra LL bamboo boosters and so use 2 LL and 1 hemp in my CB nappies and works a treat.
My LO was on 2nd setting on LL's from about 5 months but she's now 20 months and on biggest rise but there's still plenty of space so don't worry yet.

My avatar
Bumboleo
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Bumboleo » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:27 pm

HI, sorry for delay in replying! Hard to find time to upload pics but done it now!

I have stripped them recently so don't think it's that.

Inserts:
I do just use whichever the napppies come with - CB large microfibre, LL bamboo x2, Totsbots as they are, not boosted. Have 2 Bambino Mio AIOs too. I think I should maybe just boost them more. I like the bamboo ones as they are thin so not too bulky. Haven't tried hemp! I will get onto the classifieds :)

We were just out for an hour, DS was probably in his nappy for 1.5 hrs tops, and it leaked (LL pocket with 2 bamboo inserts). He was either in the pushchair or on the swings for all that time, so I don't suppose the compression helped, but as a 6 month old there's not much he can do that doesn't compress his bum :hohoho: Good to know this is the worst stage for leaks ha!

Fit:
So here is a leak, husband put it on tighter than I would have so maybe it's not the best example:

Image Image Image Image

And I put a new nappy on, this is the fit I normally get - is it too gappy? Tends not to leave marks (when husband puts them on they do sometimes leave marks around legs).

Image Image

Thanks soooo much for any advice :)

My avatar
Bumboleo
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Bumboleo » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:28 pm

Just realised you can't really tell me if nappy 2 is gappy as I didn't take pics of the legs. Duh!

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:54 pm

Does not look to me like its the fit thats wrong.
DD1 was a heavy wetter and needed both microfiber for quick absorbancy and then either 2 LL bamboo or 1 hemp (sometimes together with 1 LL). You could try a CB with one microfiber and 2 LLs to see.
The reason for putting microfiber together with bamboo/hemp is that the first absorbs fast for a Big wee and the other absorbs alot but slower :)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:42 pm

I would say you are just not boosting enough, simple as that! 2 LL bamboo boosters have never been enough for us. I tend to use one on top and then a hemp or bamboo trifold / long fold booster underneath.

Exactly as Marie said good to have quick absorbing (MF or bamboo) on the top and put the hemp behind or you'll still get leaks even with the extra boosting!

In terms of tightness, I'd say the first one is too tight, you should be able to comfortably put a finger in, so firmish but not tight.

Please ask away if you have more questions :D

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat