Help with Charlie Banana inserts not absorbing

My avatar
MLML
Clothie
Clothie

Help with Charlie Banana inserts not absorbing

Postby MLML » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:49 pm

Hi,
we're expecting a baby and we got 6 Charlie Banana diapers.
We've tried pouring water on the inserts and it seems like they are waterproof, they don't absorb the water at all.

We tried washing them 6 times as suggested but nothing changed.

I made a video that shows how bad the situation is:
Can't see this video on your phone? Tap here to watch MfwgHUkAW7o in your Youtube player

We never used reusable nappies (it's our first baby) so we don't know anything but from other videos it seems that these inserts are somehow defective and we are considering returning them (which may not be an option as some time passed).

Thanks so much for your help!

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Help with Charlie Banana inserts not absorbing

Postby ems101 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:22 pm

Have you washed them yet. Im not watching the video, but have you considered the difference of the amount of urine from a baby (v little) and at a close distance? Absorbancy increases over time. I would try washing a few times, don't use softener. Try with your baby, if there is a fault, time passed shouldn't matter. Good luck

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:54 pm

What have you washed them with? Any sort of fabric conditioner will ruin the adsorbency, I've also heard that some liquid washes are no good as they leave a coating on fabric

My avatar
MLML
Clothie
Clothie

Postby MLML » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:39 pm

Hi, thanks for the suggestions.

We washed them the first time with a liquid non bio detergent (which should be ok).
The other 5 times we washed them without any soap, just water (3 times in washing machine, 1 hand wash, 1 left for 3 hours in water).

We never use bleach or any fabric conditioner.

We don't know what else to try.

My main question is if it's normal that at the beginning they seems to repel water rather than to absorb?

We also bought bamboo nursing pad and they absorbed water even before the first wash.

Should we buy bamboo inserts instead of the microfiber ones?

Thanks again!

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:45 pm

I accidentally watched the video, sorry always slightly wary of the unknown. Why don't you send that video to Charlie Banana and get their response? I suspect there might be a problem with them. Generally micro-fibre absorbs faster, but bamboo will absorb more. I've personally always used a mixture on inserts; either hemp or bamboo and micro-fibre. Little lamb do some good bamboo boosters and generally have free delivery, so you could order a couple to investigate/compare. I'm a bit naughty, hardly ever pre-wash, they soon build up absorbancy!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:35 am

Hi and welcome to the Tree :wave: :wave: and huge congratulations on your first baby - when are you due @MLML ?

That is the weirdest thing :shock: :shock: - I've never seen MF react like that. So the video was after the prewashes?

autumnalgirl wrote:Why don't you send that video to Charlie Banana and get their response? I suspect there might be a problem with them

I agree with Christi - it looks really strange to me and not right!

autumnalgirl wrote:I've personally always used a mixture on inserts; either hemp or bamboo and micro-fibre

I was the same - the MF if good on top as a quick absorber (although not in your case :shock: :giggle: ) then the other underneath to store the urine.

Please let us know what response you get from Charlie Banana.

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:51 am

Have you tried stripping with white vinegar? It seems like maybe they've got some coating on? Definitely contact the manufacturer

My avatar
MLML
Clothie
Clothie

Postby MLML » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:53 pm

Thanks so much for your responses!

I'm going to send them back (we really think these are defective). Charlie Banana haven't replied in 1 week.

Do you think is a good idea to buy the same nappies or is it better another brand?

Tag Words

All tags for this topic

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat