hf1

Night time urine smell

My avatar
Tinkletown
Clothie
Clothie

Night time urine smell

Postby Tinkletown » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:36 am

I’ve been using cloth nappies for a while now (my baby is almost 5 months) and I am mostly very happy but I am having one issue. I use bamboozle stretch with boosters and a motherease airflow wrap at night but I’ve found that from halfway through the night there’s a really strong smell of urine. There’s no leaks whatsoever using this system but I’m wondering if anyone else has come across this smelling problem?
I previously used peenut wraps before I could get my hands on a motherease and didn’t have this problem (although conversely these wraps did leak as there’s no elastic at the top of the wrap at the front so it soaked out). The main difference between the wraps is the peenut ones wrapped with Velcro and kept everything tight inside but the motherease wraps, for those that aren’t familiar fasten with poppers at the waist and more at the legs leaving a gap between the two where I assume the smell is escaping.
Any ideas how I can stop this? Do I maybe need to go to a large size from a medium? Or is the problem with the nappies?
Ps I always wash them on a 60 wash with small amount of detergent as recommended.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Night time urine smell

Postby clothmama » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:30 am

Hi and welcome to the tree :wave: :wave: @Tinkletown

Sounds like you need to do a strip wash, smelly night nappies are a classic sign of needing one! All you need to do is a load (I would do it at 40c as hotter temperatures can actually set the smell of urine - I only ever washed at 60c when I had a newborn or a tummy bug). Use a full dose of washing powder (bio not non-bio) then do extra rinses until there are no bubbles. The last rinse you can add a good slug of white vinegar which neutralises the urine.

I would also use white vinegar with every load in the fabric softener section. This helps soften the nappies as well as providing ongoing neutralisation of the urine. by doing this I rarely had to strip wash.

I hope that helps and let us know how you get on. It is pretty amazing, the first time it happened to me I thought they were a bin job they were so stinky but the strip really sorted them out.

:D

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat