Rookie questions

My avatar
afterglow
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Rookie questions

Postby afterglow » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:37 pm

hello and happy Monday!

I hope you can help with some beginner questions. I'm currently using a cloth nappy trial pack from Wiltshire Wildlife Trust. I've topped it up with BumGenius, Fluffles and Itti Bitti AIOs and so far so good.

So.

Is it normal for hemp nappies to smell a bit, or did I imagine it? The others all smell fine, but this one was stronger than I expected, even after dd had filled it. It's a bumhugger. dd was only in it for just over an hour, but did a fairly good job in that time, and it might just have been her.

I like the nappi nippas, but how do they work with older babies - ie can toddlers remove them?

I like the lollipop bamboo that's in the trial pack, and it dries fairly quickly in my airing cupboard. Would other bamboo nappies eg little lambs or bamboozles dry as fast, or would they take longer (I think the lollipop ones have a non-bamboo core).

Thank you for any help.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Rookie questions

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:21 pm

Just quickly posting before I go to bed so sorry if this is a bit brief :lol:

Hemp nappies are more prone to smells than bamboo, cotton or microfibre because of the way the material works - drawing the moisture down deep into the core of the fibres and taking with it the smell... You may need to strip/maintenance wash your hemp a little more regularly than you would other fibres...
If it was a pooey nappy then you might have been imaginging it but if it was a just wet one then you probably didn't...

I never had problems using nippa nappies from the point of toddler removal with Isabelle - but they're not as easy to put on a wriggly toddler :lol:

Can't help on the lollipop ones as I've never used them sorry :?

Hope that helps a little :)

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:33 am

The drying speeds of bamboo nappies, one like the bambineo bamboo nappies will take less time to dry than a little lamb bamboo nappy. The reason is twofold - the LL's are a lot more absorbant and also they have an extra layer sewn in rather than being placed in (if you understand what I mean). I've never used the lollipop ones, so I don't know how they compare.
Tots bots actually did away with nippa fastening nappies in their bamboo range, as with age the pile of the bamboo fabric flattens, and makes it harder to nippa.
I'm sure if a toddler takes the notion they can undo any nappy fastening they put their mind to. Mine can certainly undo velcro, poppers (both front and side snap), I'm sure if she took the notion a nippa would be no odds. With clothes over the top of nappies (tights, trousers etc) she was less inclined to.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:11 pm

I had trouble with smells in my nappies a while back and started doing a cold rinse first every wash then washing at 60 degrees and the problem went away

As for opening nappies, I have one WAHMies nappy from nappyzone which is great - fastens with plasitc hooks and even DH can't get it off :lol:

My avatar
afterglow
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby afterglow » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:16 pm

Thank you for your helpful replies!

It's a test kit, so I hadn't stripped the nappies (what a good idea though :) ). I had a sniff of the hemp one when it was dry this morning and it doesn't smell quite as fresh as the others. Maybe it's just from being a trial nappy. I always cold rinse all worn nappies every evening, and wash every second day with a cold rinse first. My dh is away at the moment, and is only (reluctantly) supporting me in using cloth nappies provided he doesn't come back to a house that stinks of poo. Hence the daily rinses.

That's really interesting about the LL bamboo nappies having the extra layer sewn in. There are two LL cotton nappies in the trial kit, and I love the shape of them.

I do love the nippa fastening, but I think it probably would send me a bit crazy if used on more than an occasional basis, it must be lovely to use them on newer babies who can't escape mid-change.

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:43 pm

afterglow wrote:That's really interesting about the LL bamboo nappies having the extra layer sewn in. There are two LL cotton nappies in the trial kit, and I love the shape of them..

To clarify a tiny point, the size 2 LL's have the booster sewn in, the size 1 LL's don't. I loved the LL bamboo nappies, but they do take an age to dry.

My avatar
afterglow
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby afterglow » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:14 pm

Rae wrote:
afterglow wrote:That's really interesting about the LL bamboo nappies having the extra layer sewn in. There are two LL cotton nappies in the trial kit, and I love the shape of them..

To clarify a tiny point, the size 2 LL's have the booster sewn in, the size 1 LL's don't. I loved the LL bamboo nappies, but they do take an age to dry.

Is that one of those flippy-flappy boosters attahed at one end, or is it completely sewn in? Enquiring minds are curious :D

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:50 pm

Size 2 little lambs have the flappy booster! Size 1's don't have anything sewn in, but come with extra's for you to lay in afterwards. HTH!

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat